Threads on nuts & bolts

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Ronnie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Threads on nuts & bolts

Post by Ronnie »

Are the nuts & bolts threads on the e27n all whitworth please.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Re: Threads on nuts & bolts

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Ronnie, and welcome to the board.

If you can find a copy of the E27N spare parts list all the standard bolts are listed in the back.

In answer to your question, the bolts are not all Whitworth. Just about every thread type apart from metric is listed as being used on the E27N.

I don't know if the parts list is on the web anywhere, I did a quick search and couldn't find it, but if you do find it grab it as the exploded diagrams are invaluable when it comes to checking that you have all the parts you need to rebuild your tractor.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. I can scan and send you the bolts list out of my manual if you PM me your email address.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Ronnie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ronnie »

Thank you Frank, I will pm you my email address as that would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards Ronnie

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

Are they not UNF and UNC
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Post by SkidRoe »

The Smiths lift may have some Whitworth on it, but the rest of the tractor should be Unified (UNC, UNF). It has been a few years since we restored ours, but I don't remember any Whitworth bolts.

Cheers - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi to the others reading this thread,

I have passed on the complete list of bolts to Ronnie, but to clarify things for others with the same question, as others have said, most of the larger bolts are UNC or UNF. I probably should have been clearer with my answer to Ronnie.

For some of the smaller bolts BA threads are used. To be quite honest most of the bolts are anything but Whitworth, but there are a lot of different threads used and to make assumptions could result in a mess for threads into cast items in particular.

As a result of answering Ronnie's specific bolt question I have also realised it is just not possible to send a list of all the bolts used on the tractor, you also need to refer to the break down of the particular assembly to identify the bolts used to avoid the possibility of getting the wrong thread.

I have a parts list I refer to for these sorts of questions and I find it invaluable. If anyone knows of a link to an on line E27N parts list it would help all of us. I have looked at scanning my printed copy, but I can't figure out a way to reduce the size to a manageable download. The few pages I scanned for Ronnie were huge enough to email.

I am happy to answer specific bolt thread or part number questions at any time.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Ronnie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ronnie »

Thanks you all for your help I think the parts in question are UNF and UNC I just needed to clean the threads in the top water chamber I didn't want to cut the wrong thread.
Once again thanks for all replys Ronnie

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Post by SkidRoe »

Yup, radiator bolts are definitely UNC and UNF.
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773