Perkins P6 Little end bushes

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Perkins P6 Little end bushes

Post by RustyRelic »

Hello,

we are rebuilding an Australian E27N P6 that has had a hard life, The little end bushes need re-doing they are the early brass type bushes. My question is should they be a floating bush or pressed in ? 4 of them are a slack fit in the con rod and 2 are a tight fit. I personally think they should be a tight fit because there would be 2 areas of wear. I would just like someone to confirm before we continue

Thanks
Carl

super6954
True Blue

Re: Perkins P6 Little end bushes

Post by super6954 »

Hi They should be a tight press fit, From what I heard from my buddy here in Canada those bushes coming loose and wearing was a common problem. I'm sure he said with his that he had to have the rod ends reamed out to a new size and custom bearings made and pressed in. then they reamed them to fit the piston pin. From what he also said the small end bearings are bigger diameter than whats in a dexta engine so finding replacements might be interesting for the good rods.
I got 3 p6's that need work here and not looking forward to the costs when I open "Pandora's box" and find problems :eyes: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Thanks for your reply, it has confirmed my suspicions.
This P6 in question has been brought back from Oz in 2012, it has had a hard time. Almost everything has needed bushing or replacing. So far it has had the front axle rebuilt with new king pins & bushes, the transmission has had all new oil seals through out, the cross shaft for the brake / clutch pedals has been replaced and the pedals re-bushed. The 3pt hitch needs all re pinning.
The p6 motor has had the crank ground & new bearings, new cyl sleeves fitted with alloy pistons along with new valves, timing chain etc. Also the cyl head and block have been skimmed as someone in the past had tightened the head down with a washer in between !!
I have the wheels painted with new tyres, but seen as it is only a 4:3 slow speed box, I may fit a set of steel wheels that I have and use the new tyres on my L4 E27N which is a 7:7 high speed ....

Regards
Carl

RustyRelic
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by RustyRelic »

Here is a link to a few photos of the progress so far ....

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... hXeFJ0N2hB

Thanks
Carl Hargreaves