RAF fordson standard N gearbox

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
FordsonTed
Not Quite Blue Yet

RAF fordson standard N gearbox

Post by FordsonTed »

My friend has an ex raf Fordson N green not grey which is capable of up to 30mph. Standard engine no air box, just wondering if anyone knows how the raf adapted there tractor so it was capable of such a fast speed. My 3 all have a 3.7 mph gearbox and are useless for road runs. Wouldn't mind adapting the gearbox without changing the tractors originally appearance even to just do 15-20mph would be handy.

brockwood
True Blue

Re: RAF fordson standard N gearbox

Post by brockwood »

as i understand it and im often wrong there are 4 different gearbox combinations and i have all of them the standard 4.3 and standard 7.7 which is actually about 9 mph thats the front gear set in the gear box also effects reverse the high has a different front plate. then there are the sr or so called special ploughing gears which give a slow first and second thats the rear gear set dos not effect top the gearsets can be changed but there all a compermise . in the n/s and f/s the diff is 17 to 1 there was also available a 11 to 1 the motor in industrial form was rated intermittently up to 2000 instead of the normal 1100 continus with the right combination they would do into the 20/s hope that helps b
Last edited by brockwood on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

CalGG
True Blue

Post by CalGG »

30mph might be an extension.

I've no experience with the N tractors, but my E27n with high ratio gear box (7.7) moves down the road just a bit too quickly at full throttle.

I can't imagine an N at that speed.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have been on a road run with two friends, one of whom was driving a Fordson "N". I stupidly, made the comment that we would all have to drive slowly to keep with him and was shocked when he took off faster than a petrol Dexta! :cry: :cry:

His "N" would do just over 20 mph.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian