E27N Calorimeter

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
JohnC
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N Calorimeter

Post by JohnC »

I have a calorimeter which I think is recoverable but cannot find either a company who can restore it (UK based preferably) or a description of how to dismantle it.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: E27N Calorimeter

Post by oehrick »

You may find more luck if you google or otherwise search for "Wilmot Breeden Calormeter", John, easy mistake as its a widely misnamed device but the calorimeter is an entirely different instrument altogether.

Sods law but I drove past a friends workshop this morning (on the way to fail the MOT !) who restores and repairs veteran and vintage cars and would know where they can be repaired, at worst I could drop in next week if you get no luck with other forum members or the interweb.

I've the one off my old Nuffy, never had it apart but it appears to be sponge alloy so the screws will need heating or soaking in oil of wintergreen to get apart, I toyed with repainting the faded colours on the glasses but never got round to it. I suspect it will have a canister of wax which expands like a thermostat which pushes up the rack.

No sign of a repair sheet but some history here
http://moreg.org.au/wordpress/home-2/ab ... calometer/

HTH, where are you ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi John

Called in on my vintage car pal on the way back from the (successful) MOT Retest this afternoon and he knows of no one servicing or repairing these calormeters, further he had tried a time or two himself but if there is a way of reversibly dismantling them he has yet to find it, the ones he has opened and destroyed work with a bi-metal strip.

With the glass bezels removed, if there is a gear pinion, hairspring or 'axle' problem you may be OK, if its the gubbins down the tube it looks like you'll be on the lookout for a replacement - sorry :cry:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

JohnC
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by JohnC »

Rick,
Thank you, I am also a Morris Register member but had not thought to follow that route, being an 8 owner. It had to be a Harry Edwards article! How many years have I not known the proper name...?
The quadrant is still able to move so I need to check it with heat to see if it is only in the gearing.
At worst I can make it look about right.
In Bucks.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

OK John, at least you are already part of the Morris world which opens another possible door, when you see the various articles on rebuilding dashboard instrumentation it perhaps is a message that there do not appear equivalents for these devices due to an inherent lack of serviceability !

1973 for me, when I lost a pint over the spelling, a useful lesson at the time and since :stress:

Lets hope Santa brings you one next week - have a good Xmas & New Year
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure