Fordson Airfield Tractors

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Steph
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Airfield Tractors

Post by Steph »

Looking for information and images on Fordson Airfield Tractors. Do you have any interesting stories about them, or if any of these vehicles were used at Cumbrian airfields. There were a lot of Satellite airfields, where aircraft constantly being moved under cover.

Aaron109
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Fordson Airfield Tractors

Post by Aaron109 »

Sadly there isn't a lot of life in this forum.

I cant be a lot of help on this one I'm afraid. You could try Allan T. Condie's books, I have the Vintage Tractor Special 11(Fordson Model 'N' Miscellany 1929-45) book somewhere which I believe has some details on the airfield editions, there may be further details in book 4 but I haven,t found a copy for less than £80 which seems a bit steep to me. His books are a go to for most people I believe.

It may also be worth looking in local archives or military history societies etc as they may have details specific to your area.

If you find some pictures etc it would be great to see them.

Aaron

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Steph

Fordson Standard N tractors were used on RAF and Fleet Air Arm airfields during WW2 for various duties including towing bomb trolleys, generators, refuelling trailers and many other tasks on an airfield. They were normally Industrial tractors with Land Utility pneumatic-tyred wheels and ran on petrol only (not TVO). The gearing on them was different to the agricultural (LU = Land Utility) versions and thus they could motor along at speeds up to 20mph.

You could try The Historic Military Vehicles Forum which would probably be better placed to give information on specific airfields and technical details of the tractor in this role.

Regards

Timee

Steph
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Steph »

Hi thank you for your reply, I will try The Historic Military Vehicle Forum.

Steph
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Steph »

Hi Timeee I have found a few images of the RAF Fordson Airfield Tractor (titled bomb train) on various sites, including I.W.M

Aaron109
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Aaron109 »

I noticed this book for sale on ebay (during my usual search for Fordson bits) and wondered if it may be of interest to you Steph. It is probably largely about the agricultural versions of the tractor but I wouldn't be surprised if there ware some details on the airfield industrial version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/the-fordson- ... Sw2-9dU8oL