Fordson starter motor

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
wisey75080
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson starter motor

Post by wisey75080 »

Hi there
Thank you for letting me join.

I have a question if that is ok?

I purchased a Fordson E27N Major last year, and i am nearing completing its restoration. It is the first E27n i have been involved with, and hear they can be awkward to start when warm. I am thinking of putting a starter motor on it, and have seen a few on ebay for Fordson Majors. Would one of them fit my E27N Major, or just the more modern Majors?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson starter motor

Post by Billy26F5 »

The E27N starter is completely different from the Diesel Major one, ask your ebay sellers if they have an E27N one. I'm not sure about the spark ignition Major, best not to use any of them, they're also likely to be more difficult to find than an E27N one, and be more expensive.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

First thing you should check is whether your flywheel has a ring gear. Early E27N didn’t have a ring gear. Only the starter motor hole.

The ring gear runs in the engine oil. This is a huge difference to the e1adkn major where the flywheel is dry (at least it should be :lol: ). I doubt a e1a one will stand up the oil. You can check the part no’s to find out whether they are the same or not.

Starting a side valve fordson requires a good spark, thus magneto, condenser, points, etc and very important is the impulse coupling working good. Check this first. Might come cheaper and easier then fitting a starter.

Rgds emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

wisey75080
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by wisey75080 »

Hi

Thank you Sandy and Emiel for your replies, i will look in and see if it has a ring gear, and keep an eye out for the correct starter motor for the E27N.

Many thanks Dave