Brake drum seal

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Brake drum seal

Post by Lesterz »

I have replaced a broken brake cable on my 1957 Major and there is a minor oil leak behind the brake shoes. How big a job is it to replace this seal while I have the wheel off? Do I need to remove the brake extension housing and can this be done with the rear wheel just leaning away from tractor or do I need more room than that?
Cheers from Oz

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Brake drum seal

Post by Billy26F5 »

There are two seals in the bull pinion, the outer one can be replaced in situ but the inner one will require dismantling the bull pinion, ensure you don't disturb the diff carrier when removing it, otherwise all you need to remove is the rear of the footplate and take the whole lot off and dismantle it, checking the bearings while you're there. Unless there was a change after 55 the outer bearing needs grease. The outer seal seals on the drum, so a leak from the inner seal can get through the splines and cause a mess even if the outer seal is good, I would change them both at this stage. I'll confirm this tomorrow but I think you shouldn't need to drain any oil, if there's a wee bit there try lifting that side a bit further to stop the oil pouring out, but I'll give you a certain confirmation tomorrow.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Just confirming that you don't need to drain any oil for this.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Lesterz »

Much appreciated Sandy