Meddo 2015

This forum is used for show announcements, club meetings, etc.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Meddo 2015

Post by Brian »

Well that’s it! All credibility gone! Our trip to Meddo 2015 was wet and we usually bring the sunshine, this time however it poured and poured with rain on our run from Hooke Van Holland down to Etten and our meeting with Emiel and Henk, his father. After a cup of tea and a quick look around the tractors we were taking to the show, we parked Dotty and trailer and went to find our hotel at Winterwijk. This time we were staying at a small hotel on the outskirts, a very nice no-frills one as it turned out, quite close to the town and on a direct route back to the show ground we found out later. We had great difficulty with the Tom Tom sat. nav this time. We have been around Australia twice and England and Holland quite a few times but this time it let us down, keeping loosing the GPS signal in the Winterwijk area and making us do things the hard way with a map.

We got to the showground on Friday afternoon to set up and it was still light rain, the field however is amazing, what in England would have been a quagmire, cut up by the many cars, lorries and tractors, turned out to be a sponge-like surface which absorbed all the water and seemed to act like a mat over it. We got on and off the field very easily with the Range Rover and trailer with no wheel spin at all.

On Saturday morning the heavens opened just as we had the stand open for business. We had quite a display of tractors, A Lanz, E27N, 8N, E1ADKN, Model “N” Waterwasher from Emiel and Henk, Dotty and the Delco engine from Ann and I and, on Sunday an IH from Emiel’s cousin. A very nice assortment of of tractors mostly in their working clothes and all running perfectly.

One of the highlights of the weekend was wnen we had them all running, even on a wet and miserable day the noise of engines brings in the crowds and Emiel did his exercise routine swinging up the E27N and the N whilst I did mine by lifting the starter switch on the Delco and pressing the button on Dotty.

The rain dried up on Saturday afternoon which unfortunately did not increase the punter numbers but Sunday was warm and fine which certainly improved the numbers. The organisers said around 10,000, there certainly was lots of people about and, as usual, more cars, lorries and tractors arrived so the ground was really full.
We had a great time as usual meeting all our friends again, Pascal came over on Sunday and was given the pleasure of driving the Lanz back to the trailers at the end of the day. I wish I had had my camera when I met him as the grin on his face was from ear to ear. We got loaded and moved back to the hotel on Sunday night prior to our run back to catch the afternoon boat from the Hooke.

Monday was bright, sunny and warm as we drove back around Arnhem on the motorway but just outside Arnhem things got rather interesting. Dutch motorways are always full of traffic moving at around 50 to 60 mph. By full I mean all three lanes, nose to tail, with lorries and cars. It is therefore the ideal place for a trailer tyre to go “BANG”. Rover and the trailer are no fuss when this happens, no swing or sway just an increased rumble. I was driving in the inside lane so it was just a matter of pulling over into the stopping lane to change the wheel. This lane is not very wide and as it was the outside wheel that burst, (inside in England)

Wonder If a plug would work? :scratchhead:

I was working within three feet of all the rushing traffic. Even with the hazard lights on and the warning triangle out plus a couple of road cones that happened to be by where we stopped it was still pretty hairy. As we worked however the traffic suddenly seemed to get less and looking up, we saw that the inside lane had been closed by a flashing “X” on the gantry a few hundred yards away. We were just putting the tools back into the car as a patrol man pulled up and asked if we needed help. They had been watching us on the road cameras and had blocked off the inside lane for us.

The adventure did not end there however, when we got back to the Hooke and were waiting to load onto the ferry it also got interesting. The boat was very crowded, it seemed most of England had been to Holland this weekend. As well as the usual lorries there were hundreds of motorcycles and the motorcycle race teams who had been competing in a Dutch Grande Prix at Assen. There were also jeeps and army lorries being driven or on trailers returning from the Arnhem commemoration weekend, a Bentley Club Gathering with all the posh cars and drivers in tooled leather jackets and “far back” English accents and a number of yachts behind Range Rovers and other expensive towing vehicles, there was only one towing a Dexta though. Customs both in and out of Holland and England wanted to know if Dotty was my sports car!

As we sat there, the driver of the vehicle in front of us got out, came back to the rear of the yacht he was towing, lifted the cover and dived completely inside, a couple of minutes later, a pair of legs appeared over the back board and he reappeared clutching a bottle of water and proceeded to drink it before walking of to somewhere away from the car. A few minutes later we had a sharp rap on the window and a big burley policeman and colleague, fully armed, were asking us whether we had seen people getting out of the boat. We explained what had happened and they still went to the rear of the yacht and waited for the driver and his passenger to return when they gave them a severe grilling. Obviously thought they were bringing in illegal immigrants.

Our Holland trips are always interesting!

The Delco.

Some of Emiel's display.

Bucher.

Hurliman.

My other one is a Dexta!

We did not see to many of these in England but surprisingly they have a good reputation.

Lanz. On Sunday the town band performed with one of these providibng the drum beat! :clap:

OK so I remember these on the road!

Hanomag.

These were not seen over here. Fords introduced $WD on the big tractors when the 8700 and 9700 were introduced. I had Fords own demonstrator before they were announced to demonstrate to a customer over a weekend.

This man was a really good operator on this drag line. The Super had a 2700 Series 6 cylinder engine.#

Biggles was here! :clap:

Lots of levers and pipe work here Oscar!

Fendt.

Something different to ride around in, an early ATV.

Now these are really handy!

Ann had one of these. A Zundap Bella with electric start back in the early 1960's.

Deutz Industrial. Three cylinder and it sounded beautiful.

And of course the ones I wanted to bring home.

The Guldner 6 cylinder. Oh! a man can dream.

Same forward control.

Steyr. Wrights nearly took an agency for these.

And now for some of the sounds of Meddo!

And finally what Holland means to Ann and I

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Meddo 2015

Post by henk »

Thanks for the pictures Brian. At least the sunday had some realy nice weather.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Brian,

Wow, you had quite an exciting trip back to the UK! :shock: Any idea what caused the flat tyre?

I guess Customs was right,when they mentioned Dotty is your sports car...she pulls like crazy! :clap:

Here are some other pictures of the show.

Ford 5000 & County 1124

My favorite at Meddo (except for Dotty of course :mrgreen: )

Fordson E27N & N

Ford 4600 with Sirocco "tractor coat and hat"

Ford 6600 with the same Sirocco on nice big tyres

Ford 3055, might not be a familiar part of the 1000-series for some of you? Basically it has the Ford 3000 engine with the 4000-crankshaft. Backend is 4000. 55 horsepower.

Nice SuperMajor with 590E engine

Dottys cousin: the other petrol Dexta on the show
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi Brian and pascal,

Thanks for the photos. I always walk and talk and make no photos.

A little remark to Brian's photos. The Dexta and E1A major have bonnets op to show the ignition system. Not for repairs. 8)

We enjoyed the weekend very much. Looking forward to meet again.

Rgds Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964