Frontwheel weights

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Pascal
True Blue

Frontwheel weights

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Thank to Henk :thumbs: I was able to buy two frontwheel weights. :mrgreen:

Casting codes are N1B and N2B.
The Enfo logo is stamped in the weights.

I am wondering how I should mount the weights into the front wheels. :scratchhead:
There are four bolts with the weights with a square "head". I guess I need eight?
Should the head be square, or just the part just below the "head"?
The square parts should mount in the wholes as pointed with the arrow on the picture below?

Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Kim
True Blue

Re: Frontwheel weights

Post by Kim »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the weights go on the inside of the wheel. I've only seen carriage bolts used for mounting so the square heads have me scratching my non-existant mop of hair! Merry Christmas!!!! :beer:
Never give up!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yes, The wheel weights are mounted with carriage bolts. I believe you are right, the weights would go on the inside as there is not a cut out, or relief, for the valve stem. Many times I have seen weights with only two bolts, but four would be better. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

These are the weights I have in my Nuffield. They are genuine Ford weights that were exported to Japan, then came back as "make weights" in a container to my friend in Dereham. He had a whole load of weights from Majors through to the "X" series, both front, front wheel and rear wheel weights. Unfortunately when the price of scrap went up he cleared the yard and boxes of them went to the scrap man. :cry: They were still in Ford containers! :cry: :cry:

He gave me these when I did him a small favour.

They are the split type which can be fitted without taking the front wheels off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Thank you for your advises!
Last weekend I mounted my frontwheel weights, after painting them Empire blue.
I use the four bolts, that we delivered with the weights and four new bolts to have both weights secured with four bolts each.

The steering isn't much heavier than before.

Here are some pictures:

@Brian: Thank you for posting! I have never seen them before. Great to have a picture of these!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.