red oxide to true blue member

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by red oxide to true blue »

Good morning all you 'Blues' - morning here in Somerset UK.

I'm a new member, at the ripe old age of 65 have got myself my first tractor, a 1959 Power Major with link box.
Enjoyed reading all the posts and downloaded manuals from the website. Major starts first time, lots of black smoke at tickover but goes clear with a few revs, exhaust gasket at the u-bend blows, oil pressure light flickers but stays on, hand brake wont lock on, front wheels wobble, stop pull not functioningetc. Sorry this is turning out to be a longish post. Work done so far is:
Replaced sump oil & changed flter - filter was a solid black block which didn't want to come out.
Replaced fan belt.
Changed fuel filters and bled the system - very pleased with myself when still started first time and oilwarning light went off :D
Managed to tighten front wheel bearings.
Filed handbreak cam, now working.
Managed to get stop pull working.
Decided to start repaint by practicing on the link box - now at red oxide stage.
That's all been very exciting for me along with doing jobs around the farm (just a lad at heart)
Now the not so good news!! :?
After the filter & oil changes the engine fired up, sounded better, engine 'hunting' a bit at tickover - now full of confidence consulted the manual to find that some adjustment on the governor was the 'way to go' - a friend (has tractors) turned up and got involved with adjusting governor :roll: Now engine smokes a lot, bangs & pops, seems to be running rather rich. HELP :wink:
Cheers
65 and a Fordson virgin!! Help

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

red oxide to true blue,

Welcome to the forum, I like your user name, from the description of your Major you have on your hands a typical off farm Major with all the common ailments. All the best I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Regards,

BarryT

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Good evening BarryT

Thanks for the welcome message, much appreciated. I think my Major has done very little work for the last 20 years and when in better tune would probably benefit from a good workout. The friend who adjusted the governor not sure which way he turned it and I don't want to risk making the situation worse. Hoping to get some advice on how best to proceed. Plenty to do with general 'tinkering' and light work around the farm to keep me occupied.

Regards

PeterT

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Peter T
Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with being a first time Fordson owner, atleast you finally got one.

I moved your posts to a separate thread, so as not to hijack Bill2061's thread.

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hi Kiwi Kev

Still finding my way around the Forum. Have downloaded lots of useful information already. It really is a fantastic community of Fordson enthusiasts. Using the search facility gets quickly to most problems I've encounted so far. Being a complete novice in most tractor matters I'll be asking some dumb questions, so be 'gentle' with me. At the moment I'm struggling with adjusting the governor. A simple question - "does the governor control the air/fuel mix going to the injectors?" If yes, I'm running rich - do I turn adjuster in or out?
Now you know how little I know!! :oops:
I've tried adjusting both ways but didn't notice much difference and since the Major is ok for the work I'm doing at the moment I thought it best to get some advice rather than risk making it worse.

PeterT

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hi Peter,

The governor control screw only limits the movement of the pump rack. This sets the amount of fuel injected. You cannot make it richer as a petrol engine.

Normally vacuum in the manifold controls the position of the rack via the governor diaphram in the housing where the screw.

It is possible that your adjustment has put a hole in this daphram and is giving you your problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Morning Brian

Thanks for that information, I'll do a search on diaphram replacement to see what is involved. Probably also find out where I can get a new one should it need changing.

Thanks

PeterT

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Hi,

The best place for you to get a diaphram from would be auto electrical (Glastonbury)

Also have you cleaned the air filter out?

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Peter,
Welcome to the BB.

I have a Simms vacuum governor that had the idle vacuum bleed valve wear and fall out of it. That may have happened to yours when the buffer screw was adjusted. Let us know what you find when you get it apart.

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hello Matt1944N

That's good news that I may get a diaphram at Auto Electric in Glastonbury. I've just come through Glastonbury on my way home.
Thanks for the information.

Hi JC

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for the response

PeterT

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Matt 1944 N wrote:Hi,

Also have you cleaned the air filter out?
Yes, cleaned filter and renewed the oil bath.

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Morning All
Update: Thanks for various bits of advice and pms. Have sourced diaphram if required. Arrived at farm wondering if Major upto a day's work - a nice surprise as a friend had been and done a significant adjustment on the governor, now minimum black smoke and sounding better. Started cleaning out sheds ready for horses coming in for the winter. Did 5 hours work, Major seemed to enjoy getting some real work done and came in very useful as could get into one shed inaccessible to the MF3065.
Now here's the real news - have purchased my first tin of Empire Blue!! :D
Next little job to replace exhaust gasket at the elbow - blowing very badly. The 3 securing bolts very, very rusted, the nuts are almost rounded off. Anything I should be aware of when trying to remove. Hoping to get away with not disturbing the gasket at the cylinder head.
Cheers
PeterT

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Red Oxide to True Blue. Welcome aboard. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thanks for the welcome Dandy Dave.
After spending 30 happy years of my life working in Special Education in the North of England I retired to Somerset (Cider capital of the World) and got involved with the life in the country - going to market buying and selling sheep and cattle, looking after racehorses, renovating an old farm, haymaking etc, etc BUT the very best thing that has ever happened to me was to get my hands on a Power Major and to get involved with you True Blue guys. Worked 10 hours today, getting ready to bring the horses in for winter but had some time to say "Hi" to old Major - she's knows I'm going to look after her so decided to lay down my very first bit of Empire Blue. Will try to work out how to send photos when I get some time.

True Blue to you

Peter T

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Go down a few pages and look up "The Fordson Power Major and More." This is photos of my FPM and other good stuff that I have gathered up to share about the FPM. Infact, Feel free to add photos of your FPM also if you wish. It will bring it back to the top. I have used my FPM quite a bit this year york raking. After a much needed restoration, It now starts and runs great. :) Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hi
I was in the process of trying to send first photo when I got your message, so I'll try to send to you. Fingers crossed.
Cheers
Peter T

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hells Bells!! The photo worked :o

So now you'll have to see more - I love the old girl.
This is her new home.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6396 ... me.jpg[img]

I just had to get a bit of Blue, so here it is!!
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8752/f ... ofblue.jpg[/img]

Now a more practicle photo. Could anyone tell me what this is? It seems to be an adjusting screw for something on the injector pump. Could not find a reference to it anywhere.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8059/w ... qm.jpg[img]

From a happy blue
Cheers
Peter T[/img]

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

Must have been luck the first time. I'll try to send the 'What is this photo again.

Could be I forgot to highlight the link last time. Fingers crossed again.
Cheers
Peter T

red oxide to true blue
Not Quite Blue Yet

I'll try the other two.
I've learned something new!! Always worth checking the preview.

Cheers
Peter T