major engine & asbestos

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
benji
Not Quite Blue Yet

major engine & asbestos

Post by benji »

hi

i just bought a fordson major and have few questions

-schould i refit de engine with new bearings, the motor still runs great but can i wait untill it stops running.

-i heard the breakes and fireplate are made of asbestos. some people tell me i should let it remove by a special company because one fibre can kill you. and others thell me its safe if i wear gloves and a dust mask. on the internet i read that asbestos can stick on clothes and contaminate others
what should i do?

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It is only the dust of it that is a problem. I painted the firewall to cover the asbestos and I have changed carefylly the brakediscs and cleaned the dust with water instead of compressed air. New brake material is not asbestos.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

In answer to your question about the bearings I would ask, how old you are? Because if you are going to wait until the engine stops running you may be very old when that happens. :D

If your tractor is running, with no major oil leaks, smoke or starting problems, do nothing and enjoy it.

If you want to restore it and paint it up like new with cost being no restraint, then strip it down and rebuild it.

But remember, your Major is a tool to work with and like all tools, if you do not use it, it will deteriorate no matter how nice it looks. (IMHO).
Last edited by Brian on Sat May 29, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I agree with Brian and Grani. Welcome aboard, :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

Was it asbestos in the breakes and fireplate on all the majors? included the Super and NP Super?

Kjetil

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The cluch disk linings also are made of asbestos. Also, some gaskets are lined with asbestos especially exhaust and manifold where the heat is great. Don't remove them with anything that turns then to dust. Just scrape them carefully. When ever I work on brakes or clutches, on any make, I use a high pressure washer and wash the dust away. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

John
True Blue

Post by John »

Hi, benji, and welcome. It's always a good idea to take sensible precautions as outlined above. Sound advice. But be careful of scaremongers.

You have more chance of becoming pregnant by a blue whale than being killed by a single fibre of asbestos IMVHO!

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

you can never be to careful with asbestos. keep everything wet. a pump spray bottle filled with water and a bit of pva glue is best. when the water dries the pva is still sticking the dust down.

has anyone found a sutable replacment for the engine heat shield?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just wonder sometimes how I have managed to stay alive! :D

We cleaned everything down with an airline when doing brakes and clutches, no one told us about asbestos.

If you don't cut or drill it and wash the clutch housing and brake parts, you have no problems. Keeping the firewall painted seals the problems.
Brian