pto shaft

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
rich2a
True Blue

pto shaft

Post by rich2a »

hi, been using my major on the hay this week - its now breathing a lot less :lol: Just noticed that the pto shaft has about 3/8"end float on it ( it moves this distance in line with tractor , ie in and out ) why?? and how to cure this please???there is no side play at all .

Thanks, rich.
1984 5610 FWD ,1981 ford 4610 ,1962 dexta,1959 power major, 1952 major, 1956 major, 1961 super major.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I think the snap ring that secures the bearing, has come out of it´s groove. Drain the oil and loosen the four bolts at the shaft and pull out the shaft to inspect it. I took some pictures when i changed the seal a fev days ago. http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w315 ... n002-9.jpg

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Post by Ambidextarous »

On the subject of pto shafts, is a rattling one easy/cheap to repair and how common is it on Super Majors? it's a '62 model.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

I had one do that it was bearings in the gearbox/ pto drive box it was about 10 years ago. It took a while to pull it apart and some bearings where expensive. Just check that it does have oil in the gearbox as the back end and gearbox are seperate oils. The seals leak between the gearbox and axle. The gearbox level/ filler is the plug by the clutch pedal. The axle is the dipstick on top by the gear shift and the filler is the large plug in the hyd top coverl. you may find the gear box is low and the axel oil is high on the stick.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.