SMD:Frnt CS engine seal leaking BAD, How much time to change

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tmac
True Blue

SMD:Frnt CS engine seal leaking BAD, How much time to change

Post by Tmac »

My front crankshaft seal has now come to the point it must be changed. How long should this job take to do?

Can this seal be changed without the removal of the timing cover?

Iam in the middle of summer weed kill and am wondering if I should stop and replace or just keep adding oil til Iam finished. ;((

I have several OH Gasket kits, I havent looked to see if that seal is still there in any of them. Will the front seal of any model interchange? What Iam asking will the seals from the old FMD fit the SMD?

" Oily to bed Oily to rise are the days of a man, when a Fordson he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted to be farmers, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to drive the tractors! ;)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tom,

You must take the cover off as the seal fits from the inside.

If you take the bottom hose off and tap the pulley starter dog undone, you can drive the pulley off from underneath.

Early Major seals are a different size.

I have done many seals this way, in the field. Its a lot quicker than taking all the front off.

Leak too much oil and we will change your name to BP! :D :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Ok I been out and looked at an old timing cover that is off an old SMD forklift engine I have apart and it is obvious that this seal has to come out with the timing cover off. It has to be removed and replaced from the inside of it.

So most of my questions should be answered in the older timing cover gasket thread.

Some men always thought they wanted to be farmers, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to drive the tractors! ;)

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Yep this seal is leaking worse than the BP cap!;(( Its also leaves a puddle the size of the Gulf everywhere it sits and runs.

Also running out of money for buying oil for it!! ;))

Then you got BP burning the oil as waste in the Gulf. And I cant afford to buy it!!

I called BP and told them a quick and easy method on how to keep the ice out of the first 4 story cap when it run afoul.

They sent me back a message that they studying my method and where they could find the necessary equipment to do it. I hope they dont steal my suggestion and patent it! ;((

Iam going to pull the radiator to do the job as I have no sheet metal to remove. Now will just have to see if I have the seal. Looks like no more than 4 of 5 hour job if the pulley and the nut come easy.