Selene Power Major tire sizing

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Selene Power Major tire sizing

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Does anyone have the tire size recommendations for the Selene FWD, or know if the gear ratios are the same as the Roadless. My Selene has 7.50-24 on the front and 14-30 on the back. Before I get new tires I want to be sure of the correct size, and I also want to go to a wider front tire.
The Roadless manual (I have no manual for the Selene) list the front as a 9-24 with the 14-30 on the back, I’m not sure if someone set the wrong tires on my Selene or if they used a smaller tire on the front.

Pat

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

hi, cant help with selene but the roadless uses 12.4x36 or 16.9/14x30 on the rear and 9.5x24 on the front at least thats what both mine have got. I think a 38"inch rim could be used but it needed a bigger front tyre to suit.
Is yours running OK in 4WD with the current tyres fitted? If it doesnt hop and skipalong and can be disengaged easily by reversing a little way it would indicate you aren't getting too much wind up through the gearbox.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Pat,

When I saw the photos of your Selene I always thought the front tires looked too narrow for the rims. My Plougmaster manual lists 9.5/9x24 and 16.9/14x30 as being a valid combination for use with a type B transfer box. Roadless figures naturally but I would expect Selene to use similar tires given the connection between the two companies.

I would measure the front rim width, my guess is that if they are 9 inch rims which would mean 9.5R24 is most likely what should be fitted. If you knew the ratio of your transfer box and diff I could cross reference it against the roadless transfer box ratios and confirm it for you. That would only be possible if you counted the teeth on the input and output gears while you had it apart though.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Pat,

I have some original sales brochures for the Ford 3000/4000/5000 fitted with Selene Axles. The tyre sizes quoted are:-

10x28 Rear. 7.50x18 Front.
11x28 Rear. 7.50x20 Front.
11x36 Rear. 9x24 Front.
14x30 Rear. 9x24 Front.
BarryM

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Maybe in the wrong topic,

but I have front 11.2 / 24 back 18.4 / 30
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Thanks for the help guys!
From what I have read it is desirable to have the front tires pulling slightly more than the rear, supposedly makes it easier to steer. With this said I could easily shift in and out of 4X4 while moving, making me think I should be running 9-24 with the 14-30, but thinking of running a 10 something-24 with a14.9-30 or a 16.4-30 on the rear.
I have 18.4-30 on it in the pic for a show a few weeks ago, and I was pulling a drag with it a few days later but I could feel it binding up.

Frans, how does your combo work? Do you seem to have the fronts pulling slightly more than the rears?

Next Question.
What did Selene use for the power steering mount on the frame? The Ford bracket will hit the driveshaft, I’m assuming Selene made their own bracket moving the cylinder up a little?

Pat

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Before resauration it worked verry well it 2 years ago and I hope in 2 weeks I can drive it again Its all original pre 1960 roadless

the power steering looks like this

Iff wantet I can make some pics more but I am just working on the power sterring and the electrik
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Got the new bracket made and on today, still have to get the cylinder back together.

Pat

ImageImage

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Pat,

The important thing with 4Wd is to keep the roling diameter ratio from front to rear the same. If you plan to go to bigger rear tires look up the roling of the new VS the old and that will tell you what tire roling diameter you will need for the front when you multiply the ratio of new VS old. Too much maths at this point for me, but I hope you get what I mean. You can not assume going up one size front and rear will work, you may need to go up two sizes on the rear for one on the front. There are sites that list roling diameter VS tire size on the web, the rest is just maths. I am in the process of fitting a roadless conversion onto one of my tractors and the tire size ratio thing has just about done my head in. Anybody got any 28x14 rims in Australia so that I can run 16.9x28 rear and 9.5x24 front on my E27N roadless?

Regards, Frank.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I set everything in place this morning. the new cylinder mount I made to clear the drive shaft is actualy to high as the draglink almost rubs on the cylinder, Ill make another droping the mounting holes down slightly.
Frans, this setup is mostly identical to the 2WD tractors other than the 2WD used the cylinder mount shown in my previous pic. This setup is probably the most common over here in the US although ther are several other systems made for the Majors as well, Sherman made their own system and I belive the back end of the cylinder was attached to the loader frame.

Pat

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Aussie Frank wrote:
I am in the process of fitting a roadless conversion onto one of my tractors

and the tire size ratio thing has just about done my head in.

Anybody got any 28x14 rims in Australia so that I can run 16.9x28 rear and 9.5x24 front on my E27N roadless?

Regards, Frank.
Where did you find the Roadless conversion? Got any more!!!!!!!!!

When working mine out, I worked back from a known size(16.9x28 tyre) and diff ratios to get front tyre size.

My tractor has 13x28 rims which I borrowed from a Fiat. You could cut the lugs off and weld new Fordson ones on, or just cut the centre out the centre dish and fit new ones drilled to suit Fordson.
I do have some new 14x28 rims, but they are to suit my "Australian style" heavy cast iron centre wheels.

Would love to see photos sometime Frank.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Kev,

I found it in Northern Ireland and it has cost more than all my other tractors put together. Half the cost was getting it through customs, but I expected that. Also not all the right parts and I will need to cast a new transfer case housing, but then again I always enjoy a challenge. With any luck I will actually see it tomorrow as I got a call from my customs agent today that I missed because I was in a meeting. I wish I could convince people at work that tractors are more important than new products and new income.

As for it being a real Roadless conversion, it won't realy be because I just can't find all the parts and I will have to make some of my own. So I supose Marion will become a bit of a Frankestein :wink: I will post some photos when I have something worthy of a picture.

Regards, Frank.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Selene Power Major tire sizing

I finally got around to changing the front tires on the Selene today, I had picked these up the winter before last from a guy that took them off a Belarus that was a prototype for a county ditch mowing tractor, they used these small tires on the back to keep the center of gravity low.
We cut the centers out of these rims and a set of truck rims that had the correct bolt pattern, stuck them in place with my welding magnets to hold the new pieces centered and to keep them flush on the edge. After tack welding I bolted them on to make sure they weren’t wobbling around like a lobe on a bent camshaft, they looked good enough to run on a vehicle down the road, then took them off to welding them up solid. Just need to scrounge up something for the back that mach, but I’m thinking I’ll end up having to buy new ones.

Pat

Last edited by BearCreek Majors on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henk

Post by henk »

You have a powerfull front now.
Any change of a front picture?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hi Henk, Im thinking I had better be babying her or I'll be looking for more axel shafts.

Pat

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Hi Henk, Im thinking I had better be babying her or I'll be looking for more axel shafts.

Pat

I think this would be the Selene/Roadless HD model :) Looking good :)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

henk

Post by henk »

Big Foot :lol:
Kind regards, Henk