Oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bluecraig0776
True Blue

Oil

Post by bluecraig0776 »

Is it ok to use universal tractor oil in the Major Diesel engine or should I stick with something like 20w50?
Fordson Major, Man's best friend.
1957 Fordson Major Diesel - Mid-Restoration

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I use rotella T 15-40. Not sure what the others use. I think HD 30 WT was used originally. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Oil

Post by Dandy Dave »

bluecraig0776 wrote:Is it ok to use universal tractor oil in the Major Diesel engine or should I stick with something like 20w50?
Universal Tractor fluid is a rear end oil for tractors that have the rear is combined with the hydraulics. It is 20 WT and should never be used in an engine. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tractor Oil Universal (TOU) is OK for everything, engine, gearbox and rear axle over here Dave, but it could be a bit too good for our tractors

Its a 15/40W, and it may contain anti squark for the brakes.

Just seen an article on oils and, as we have been saying, the modern oils are not good for our tractors. Super TOU is not recommended anywhere.

I think you are right with 30W.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

I'm using Rotella 30wt in my engine during summer, our temp is 90+F. In trans/rear end I'm using the New Holland oil for trans/rear end, it is 20/30wt.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hi Guys,

Stick with a Series 2 SAE 30 or 40 (for Kerosene engine) and you won't go wrong.

Don't confuse Universal Engine Oil with Universal Fluid. Fluid is a rear end and hydraulic oil only. Whereas Universal Oil can be used in rear ends, engine, trans, and hydraulics. It is more suited to tractors from the mid-seventies onwards. (Caterpillar, Leyland and Ford would not have a bar of Universal Oils in the early days).
BarryM

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi trying to sort out a decent oil with areasonable price on it can be a nightmare . after traweling through alot of data it also seems almost any diesel engine oil without the wet brake additive will probley do, make sure there is an API SPE it, castrol do some that might do tection 30 also i seen one its a marine oil semax 30 if these are avai., but might be a bit pricey ,the 15 /40 multigrade will do also as long as it hasnt the wet brake stuff in it, it should on the spec if it has happy hunting :) Gerry

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

we use universal for everything, even our car !

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

I've been told that mineral oil only should be used - anything with the word 'synthetic' in the make-up is likely to destroy the internal seals. Castrol still produce mineral oils for vintage engines and its Technical Department is very helpful. They do 30, 40 and even 50 SAE single grade oils and a multigrade which (from memory) is 20w/50 or thereabouts.

Halfords does a multigrade for old engines and that contains a seal reviver.

Comma does a range of cheap mineral oils (don't know how good its products are).

I'd also like to mention that Ametech do an oil seal reviver that I put into the gearbox on my FSM and it has virtually stopped gearbox to back end leakage.

Hope this is helpful ...
Regards - Bob

1961 Super Major

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

Thanks folks,

Got some 20w50 from halfords and stuck in Forte's equivalent of ametech's oil seal reviver. Worked a treat.

Now on to transmission and back end oils...........
Fordson Major, Man's best friend.
1957 Fordson Major Diesel - Mid-Restoration