Creamy Oil

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BR_FISH
Not Quite Blue Yet

Creamy Oil

Post by BR_FISH »

Hi just picked up my first tractor a Fordson Major and when i dipped the oil in the diff it is a creamy white like it has water in it.
Q1 where would the water come from.
Q2the numbers under the seat is 994787 h22c and on the motor is :
EIADKN 6015 E O28C
so what year model is it.
The front wheels are orange,rear wheels are red the rest is blue,so the next question what shade of blue is it painted in as mine is very pale blue.
thanks for your help
Alan (Australia)

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

i had creamy oil in my majors back end, but it was because the filler cap had been lost!
As for why yours is creamy, it could be all sorts of things, do you know the history of it? Are there any glaring gaps or things missing?
As for the casting codes, your better off waiting until brian reads this, as i may give you wrong info!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome Alan,

The water in the rear axle is from condensation and is a common problem in warm moist climates. You may find that by letting it stand then just, nearly, remove the drain plug, water will drain out.

H22C gives June 22nd 1959
I suspect your O is a D and that would be April 28th 1959

You really need the engine/serial number from under No.1 injector but you have either a Fordson Power Major or a Fordson Farm Major which was peculiar to Aus.

It should be Empire Blue with Red wheels over there.
Wheels were orange here.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BR_FISH
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BR_FISH »

hi thanks for the reply .yes Brian this tractor has sat for 2 years with little work before. on the bonnet it has kerosene powered near the fordson major emblem so you could be right.
what HP rating would it be.
i am using it with a 5'slasher and it purrs.
it has lights on the wings and on the side of the radiator cowling when i learn how i will post photos.
alan

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think someone must have put a new bonnet on her. Kerosene went out in 1957.

If she is a Power Major it will be 51hp, a Farm Major was around 44hp.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Alan,

You haven't really told us whether the tractor is fitted with a diesel or kerosene engine. Also, you won't find the Engine Number below No. 1 Injector. All Australian assembled tractors had the Engine Number stamped on the mating flange behind the starter.
BarryM

BR_FISH
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BR_FISH »

thanks barry m i should of read this post instead of spending hours carefully cleaning under the injector and skinning two knuckles doing so, and yes it is a diesel engine .
question how do i get a speedo cable
thanks all

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

Even in cold climate the condensation is the reason and still more. Ford recommended oil change in rear axle every 6 months.

I changed the oil after i bought my tractor, but after some weeks the oil was creamy again. Only after that i took the hydraulic lift out and removed the abt 1 inch thick layer of this creamy soap which did not run out with the oil, it was possible to keep the oil clean.

Warm garage is the only way to solve this problem.
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Hi Alan, I’ve got the same problem with my FMD but that was previously used for boat launching never the less I’m wondering how the water got in there in the first place? you can see the yuk on the dip stick in the picture below
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

When a youngster down on the Old Dairy Farm, the Cream always floated to the top of the Milk Pail. You could scoop it off and it was good.

Now that the hayday of dairy farming is over in this area, and I have resided to keeping an old retired Fordson around for fun and profit, the cream in the transmission sticks to the bottom and is quite lousy in Coffey and Tea.

The milk came from the bottom of the cow, but the cream won't run from the bottom of the tractor.... If it was only like the cow. Such is life in the days of an old Fordson Farmer. Only took me 50 years to get a good tractor, and now the cows are gone. How things change as the years roll by....Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major