Dating my Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dating my Major

Post by brinky »

I've no doubt this topic has been covered many times before, after receiving the new v5 in my name it has a date of first registration as 18/01/1972.
Chassis number is 1409517.
The registration number is 673WBJ
Stamped on the block near the starter is the number N13Z
I was told it is a 1952 when I bought him, do any of these numbers make sense to someone????
Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dating my Major

Post by Brian »

November 13th 1956. The Serial Number is late November too.

The registration number can be any time after that. The tractor may not have been registered for many years.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brinky »

Thanks, are there any other numbers I can look for on the tractor?

brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brinky »

I have found H27Z under the seat :shock:

brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brinky »

The DVLA has told me I need to prove the age of the tractor to get it classed as a historic vehicle. I need this either from the manufacturer or an enthusiast association,and must be on headed paper.
Is this the norm ?
Can I get something from here ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

June 27th 1956.

Yes that is the norm. You need to collect all the data you can, in pictures is best, I even took a picture of my tractor in work to prove it was a tractor. Take pictures from every angle too. Definitely take clear pictures of every date code you can find.

I used The Tractor and Vintage Engine Club at Yate in Bristol. They verified the pictures and sent back a certificate to say that it was indeed as claimed, with that and the form you can go to the local DVLA and start the process.

It then goes to Swansea and they will send you back another form/ temp registration which you then take to the local DVLA again to get a number and licence. Your registration document will come about a week later.

No, sorry we cannot help although we have been consulted by the DVLA.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

For what it is worth that is likely to be the original reg number as most counties switched around to numbers before letters duing the early to mid 50s. BJ was an East Suffolk mark, is there a dealer plate left?

brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brinky »

Went to the local dvla, they gave me a tax disc with no questions asked :)
Peterborough motors is the dealer plate on the bonnet.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Whenever you need to register an old vehicle in the uk its well worth checking with DVLA first. Most registration numbers were transferred to the DVLA in the1970's? and computerised. Any vehicle with an registration number which was computerised can retain the same number and get a tax disc.
Check if there is an old number plate or tax disc on the vehicle, or an index number on an old receipt.
If you have a index number:

You or a grandchild go to the taxdisc.direct.gov.uk(DVLA) website.
Select "Vehicle Enquiry" on the left side.
Click Next or Continue.
Insert the registration number and make - Don't confuse Ford with Fordson.
Result will either be - "We have no information" in which case do the certification route with engine numbers OR
"Full vehicle details" - Your tractor is registered with DVLA and you can update ownership and get a V5 by filling in a form from your Post Office.

Tim W
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tim W »

Agree with all the above...

but don't be too disheartened if your details don't show on the DVLA website - if its not been taxed for a while,
especially before the SORN requirement came out, it may not show up, even though it has a computerised record.
Best to call them just to confirm before starting out on the certification route.
1947 E27N, some grey ones and a 1953 AJS 350...