First run on the road. Transmission noise?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

First run on the road. Transmission noise?

Post by porteous »

Took my 53 Major out for a short run of about 2 miles yesterday, its first road drive since registering her. All went well and she is only a little smokey, clearing to a thin blue haze when hot. I was suprised at how much transmission noise there was, particularly from the wheel ends of the axle (I think).

I believe the tractor has probably been standing for many years with only occasional use. Is the transmission noise likely to reduce as she is used and the oil gets around everything? The gears all work as they should, how can I tell if I am dealing with wear that needs action?

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: First run on the road. Transmission noise?

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I posted a similar question recently re my 63 Major. I should have known better, as I have had a Major of some description for over 25 years! The fact is, a Major's transmission does whine and even rattle at tick over revs in top gear. This is the message I received from the many wise members on this great site and as soon as I read their replies I knew they were right!

If your gearbox and rear end have always been topped up with oil, it's unlikely that anything is amiss.

Best wishes

Adrian

ps I did have broken bearing in my gearbox when I bought the tractor - this was because the lower oil seal had failed, allowing the oil to flow into the back end, leaving the uppermost bearing high and dry. Consequently it broke.

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Dear Adrian;
You are quite right, and I am reassured. Gearbox and axle oil remain separate (different colours), and no nasty knocks or rattles, I suspect as she gets used to actually moving things will quieten down a little more anyway .

As an added plus giving the tractor a run seems to have reduced the one or two oil leaks, perhaps just running has helped the oil seals return to duty?

Many thanks. David

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

She is a lady. Make her gently warm and you will have a smooth ride. :lol:
No fast speed after so long without any exercise until the oil is warm in the gear box and rear end.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

To check the outer bearings, jack up the the rear and see how much the axle moves up and down in the housing as you are jacking. Also, you can use a block of wood and a hefty bar to see how much it moves after the wheel is jacked off of the ground. Best to have a buddy so one can lever it while the other watches. If the wheel seals are leaking badly and there is a lot of up and down movment chances are that the outer bearings are bad. Could have been run by a chap with a hardly used 30 year old grease gun hanging in the farm shop. I've been to a few of those farm sales myself. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major