Identify my tractor? And oil?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Identify my tractor? And oil?

Post by SimonT »

Hello.

I've just bought a Fordson Power major to top my field with. I know it's a Fordson Power Major because it says so on the bonnet. This is almost all I know about it (apart from it's blue with red wheels).

I have looked at the engine for a serial number but can only find this: EIADDN-6050-G 1317
A vehicle check has the engine number listed as: 1534003

There's a photo below. I'd very much appreciate knowing exactly which engine oil I should use for it and also the year of manufacture. Any other information would be interesting too.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Just step sideways

Gman
True Blue

Re: Identify my tractor? And oil?

Post by Gman »

Hello Simon. If you look at the top of this forum Brian has specs regarding oil. I use Shell Rotella 30 wt in the engine and the oil New Holland sells for the trans and rear end, don't remember the wt of it. As to the year, look right below the #1 injector and there should be the serial number and the others on here can tell you when the tractor was built. You have to look at the different casting codes like under the seat to see if this tractor is still as one and not different tractors put together. The others on here can tell you a lot more than I can. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Your major is a 1959 power major mk3 engine - so if all is original then that is correct - but your wheels are wrong for that year :o
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Nice tractor.
Theres no breather on the engine so It seems an older one from the MKII Major. So does the wheels. Check the engine nummer at the frist cilinder above the dieselpump coupling. And the casting codes as pa. a24n.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

November 1959 Power Major with Fordson Major wheels.

Colour should be Empire Blue with Orange Wheels. Silver grills. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Not sure about any others of you - but can you notice that in front the pump - where the breather should sit a the pipe has a hose like attachment - I would like to know where that pipe leads n :shock:
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Probably into the air cleaner, its a common "modification" as the engine starts to blow oil out of the breather. Oil from the breather could be due to a worn engine or the oil slinger on the pump drive gear has broken off or been removed.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Brian wrote:Probably into the air cleaner, its a common "modification" as the engine starts to blow oil out of the breather. Oil from the breather could be due to a worn engine or the oil slinger on the pump drive gear has broken off or been removed.
Yes Brian, I had one that went to the rocker cover - the engine ( mk1 diesel) had very little oil pressure - hence the modification - inevitably the engine didn't last long afterwards ! :oops:

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Well, thanks very much for the responses (although I am not too sure if I should be very worried about the last two or not). I'm quite happy with 1959, the year of the liberation of Cuba and of my birth.

I've poked around the engine for some more numbers but so far the only one I can see that I can read is N2 and underneath that, A2F.
I think I've found the proper engine number but need to clean things a bit before I'll be able to read it. A job for the weekend.

I've taken a photo of both sides of the engine now. I'd very much welcome any comments about it. I've taken the battery out for the winter.

Just step sideways

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Hello,
I've been searching around for other numbers. I've found one under the seat and one on the engine below the right hand side exhaust pipe (see top image above). Neither are particularly readable.

The one on the engine might be: 5789012, or 5759012, or even 6759012!
The one directly under the seat could be K2366 but it's even harder to tell.
Here some photos. If anyone has any ideas they'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

STOP PRESS: Have just found this...
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manua ... _major.pdf
Now I'm rocking...
Just step sideways

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

On the injection pump side. That breather Hose is in the way. The number you want is on the block right where the head meets the block toward the front. It is a raised area and the numbers are stamped. The number should be the same as your vehicle Check number. Nice looking old Power Major. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

K20C would give you August 20th 1959, which is in the right time slot.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

That looks like surface pitting from salt air corrosion. Has your tractor been living near the sea? Best get some paint or waxoyl on it.

However your tin work looks good, perhaps its been repainted, but the rest hasn't?

Nice looking tractor. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!