Cleaning diesel tank

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tjibbe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cleaning diesel tank

Post by Tjibbe »

Guys, please allow me this very basic / stupid question.
I removed the 1954 FNM's diesel tank; trying to get the solidified gunk out of it.
Any ideas/tips how to go about it ?

richard the wrecker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Cleaning diesel tank

Post by richard the wrecker »

Hot/steam pressure washer, but be careful at the bottom they can get a little thin :cry:. .I usually find this works best & if you get the tank red hot it soon dries out.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I've cleaned mine with the steam cleaner.
When it's clean, check the cover plates on the front bolts inside the tank. They are soldered. When leaking, water in the diesel tank can come under it. When it friezes it can cause a leaking tank.
I've repaired mine with tank sealer.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Before I put any sealer in any fuel tank, I always Flush them out with Lacquer Thinner and let them dry. If the tank has rust, I use Muriatic Acid, and then HP wash. You need to do these steps outside in decent weather. Be super careful around Muriatic acid and don't be sniffing and smelling it. Also on tank sealers, Never mind that the can says 48 hour Curing time. It is better if you leave the tank for a month in a dry and warm place. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

When using tank sealer be careful not to get any in the injector overflow pipe inside the tank. The pipe terminates high up in the tank near the filler cap. I ruined a good tank by learning this lesson the hard way. Tanks rust through at the bottom where water accumulates. Treating the bottom half of the tank usually suffices. Taping the opening of the diesel overflow pipe just inside the filler cap opening is a good precautionary measure.
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

Tjibbe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tjibbe »

Hi Guys - I appreciate the help and tips, must tackle the job now !
Kind regards