Dumb newby battery charging question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dumb newby battery charging question

Post by SimonT »

Hello.

Sorry for this post...

I have to charge the battery of my recently acquired Power Major. I can't tell if its a sealed or open type though. I've looked for info on the battery but drawn a blank so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.
The battery is a New Holland. Part No 643, 640 amp, 96AH dated 1/8/11.
Although the top is flush there are plugs in it which look like they could be opened using a very wide screwdriver or large coin. However they are very hard to get loose (i've tried a little to no avail). Each plug has MFG stamped on them. As I've just worked out how to add a photo, I've done just that below!

Does anyone know if I should attempt to undo 1 (or more?) before charging? And if so, confirm that I can/should add electrolyte if the levels are low?

Thank you.

Just step sideways

Matt in WI
True Blue

Re: Dumb newby battery charging question

Post by Matt in WI »

Hello Simon, I sure looks like you are dealing with an open type battery there to me. In a perfect word you should just need a large flat screwdriver to open it up. I have adopted the Epsom salt and distilled water method when topping battery's, seems to work the best for me. 3 table spoons Epsom salt to 1 cup of distilled water. Works a treat.

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks very much. Thanks also for the electrolyte tip. It's a few decades since I dealt with this sort of stuff and I was prepared to stick just distilled water in it.

Would you mind if I asked another question? The negative battery lead is attached to a small thing (3 inches high, 2 inches wide?). When I fire the starter engine it smokes badly, smells electrical and frankly looks a bit unhealthy. Any idea what that is?
Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Nice pic -- shows everything.
The slotted, removable, plugs are now standard fitting for all modern non-sealed batteries. In theory, unless the battery is being regularly over-charged, indicated by excessive white gunk around the battery posts, the electrolyte remains constant -- but distilled water needs adding so that the electrolyte mixes with it and covers the internal plates. You obviously need the help of a large, and broad-bladed screwdriver to overcome the heavy handedness of a previous owner.
The battery does appear to be a little marginal for power as it lists the CCA [cold cranking amps] as 640 whereas, for a diesel, 800 to 1000 is recommended. However, if the compression ratios are down a bit it should be OK.
The earth lead you mention should be of the same thickness as the HT leads to the starter motor or, alternatively, have a proper braided earth strap. A good idea when clamping it to the bellhousing is to place a star washer between it and the housing as the teeth will cut through any paint or rust.

Pavel

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Sounds like to me you are talking about the solenoid. If it is getting hot and smoking, it needs replacing. Dandy Dave.

Here's an image... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321240915533?lpid=82 Fixed...
Last edited by Dandy Dave on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks Dave and Pavel. Battery is charging now.

Dave. I can't see that image. I can see it is hosted at Tapatalk. It have Tapatalk installed but cannot find this forum on it. Any help appreciated.
Just step sideways

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

In some battery's a coine will do the trick to get the screws turning.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I'm not sure what happened there??? Try this link... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200887837509?lpid=82 Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major