Where to buy new solenoid?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Where to buy new solenoid?

Post by SimonT »

Hello.

When I am starting the engine on my newly acquired Power Major this thing (which I told is probably the solenoid) gives off quantities of thick electrical smelling smoke. I am told it is on the way out. Any idea how/where I buy another? I am in the UK.

Also, what do you think the last owner stuck that thin plastic tape behind it? Is it a clue to the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Simon

Last edited by SimonT on Sat May 03, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just step sideways

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Re: Where to buy new solenoid?

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Simon, your solenoid looks a different type to mine, but it appears on the way out judging from the black melty looking patch on it. When mine failed it nearly ruined the starter by keeping it spinning after the engine had started. Google power major solenoid and you should get plenty of results.I bought one for a classic BMC mini and it was an exact replacement at half the price of some online shops. I expect someone here can say if the 2 different type of solenoids are interchangeableImage
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks for this Dave. A bit of a shame as I've left it standing in the middle of the garden. Looks like it'll be there for a few days longer. Better apologise to the wife.
Just step sideways

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Simon

My Sol is like Daves, as a get you home method you can short across the heavy current contacts after having pushed down the start lever to engage the pinion, (I use a spanner thats no longer needed) I cant see if you could do this with yours but if you try, don't get your fingers near because of the heat / flash, ditto no metal watchband etc. which might ground (DC burns are nasty) and as you're under the tank, nothing that might catch fire and

ALWAYS MAKE DOUBLY SURE ITS OUT OF GEAR AND FOR GOOD MEASURE HAUL THE HANDBRAKE HARD ON
HTH get it out of the garden :lol:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Hahaha. Thanks.

When the solenoid smoked the battery was not well charged. I've since charged it and today the tractor started just fine. No smoke at all.

Flummoxed.
Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

It started -- nice one!
But may I suggest you have a go at the wiring and connections to the solenoid. They look very close to the solenoid body, which could cause a short.

Pavel

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks Pavel. I will.

Maybe this is the reason the previous owner stuck that grey tape on it.
Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Not too sure how far you are wanting to go as far as renovating your electrical wiring but the insulation of the yellow with red tracer wire, which feeds the ignition/light switch, appears slightly twisted and swollen which is an indication of excessive current flow possibly caused by the intermittent short at the solenoid.

Pavel

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I would not play around with that Solenoid. It has been hot and compromised. I would replace it. Also, It looks like the wire on the other side has broken strands. It is very important that all the electrical wires and connections are in good condition. It takes a lot of amps to spin the diesel. Any bad, or heated connections lead to a loss of current. Also, it could lead to burning out your starter. I found several links in the other thread that show what you need for a solenoid. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Simon,

I have to agree with Dave, :yeah: Please do not mess about with that solenoid. It has clearly been hot and could cause a short. Much better to not risk it and get a new one. Any "simple" solenoid should do, check with your local auto parts suppler. :D
Last edited by Matt in WI on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dandy Dave wrote:Also, it could lead to burning out your starter. I found several links in the other thread that show what you need for a solenoid. Dandy Dave!
Would that be if the solonoid fails to break the circuit and keeps the starter turning after engine starts....? :?:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Ben, The solenoid would not break the circuit as you said and the starter motor continues to run, a rite good way to burn one up for sure. :(

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

OK. Advice taken. I'll get a new solenoid. Thanks.
Just step sideways

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Dave. Which thread are you referring to? There only one link in my 'dumb battery' thread and it's to a solenoid that is only available in the US (I'm in the UK).
Just step sideways

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Just step sideways

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yup. That is it. I just put the links out there to show you what it should be. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Seems a battery cutoff switch might be a good idea for the possibility of a solenoid going bad as described above.

kerry

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

It is not a bad thing to have a main disconnect switch on our older Equipment with iffy wiring. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Hello again.

I've just changed my solenoid. However one of the wires has become disconnected and I've no idea where it goes. It's the other end of the wire fitted to the non-battery terminal (i.e. fitted to the rhs of the body of the solenoid).The Fordson wiring diagram is a little confusing as it only shows one wire fixed to this position (blue-black tracer) whereas my Fordson (bereft of lights) has two wires connected here, a red one and a grey one with blue sheath.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manua ... 14-115.jpg

I'm hoping that the loose wire should be connected to the "Mechanical Switch Actuated by Movement of Pinion Control Lever". As the wire terminates in a spade connector and is covered in oil/grease this seems likely.

Can anyone tell me where the "Mechanical Switch Actuated by Movement of Pinion Control Lever" is situated?

As ever, help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Simon
Last edited by SimonT on Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Underneath the rubber gaiter on top of the starter motor. This switch has a Red wire from the ignition switch, and a Black with Blue tracer [not blue with black] from it to the starter solenoid.
If your disconnected wire is, as you suspect, the one to the starter motor switch, then the starter will not operate without it being connected.
Also a little confusing is the colour of the wire in your pic [yellow with red tracer] as this is shown in the wiring diagram you are using as being that from A1 of the regulator to the ignition switch -- but used in later models for the circuit you are concerned with. I would urge checking, and double checking, by using your multi-meter to be sure of continuity.

Pavel

SimonT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by SimonT »

Thanks Pavel. Unfortunately the wiring on my Power Major appears to have little in common with that shown on the diagram.

The wires are different colours and the diagram does not seem to include the cooler fan and the ignition switch! I think you are right and I need to get serious with a multimeter! :-[

And have discovered this mess by the ignition switch. From bad to worse.

Just step sideways

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Not sure, Simon, what you mean by the "cooler fan', unless you have an electric fan fitted in place of the blades on the water pump. The ignition switch is the large circle on the bottom of the diagram, slightly left of centre, with the words "side, tail, aux, head, bat. & coil" printed in it.
I rather think that, like my FMD, you need to re-wire just about all of it. If you do decide to re-wire I suggest taking digital photos of all wire connections to switches and units before disconnecting the old wires as a handy reference for when replacing with new.

Pavel

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

one thing to look for that may have caused your solenoid to burn out is a sticky switch on the starter. When you push the starter lever it activates a small switch on top of the starter to complete the solenoid circuit. Sometimes the plunger gets sticky and doesnt pop out when you let go of the lever. With the engine running you may not hear the starter whirring away to itself, after a while the coil in the solenoid can get quite hot. Worth checking once your new solenoid is up and running.