Fordson New major rocker arms not aligning with valves

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson New major rocker arms not aligning with valves

Post by bolens1053 »

I am in the process of doing a major rebuild on a 1954 Fordson major. I went to put the rocker arm assembly on and they do not line up with the valves correctly. I looked back at the pictures and it was like this before I started the rebuild. I have a normal rocker arms assembly without the decompressor. Were the heads that had decompressors different from a normal head?

anthonygos
True Blue

Re: Fordson New major rocker arms not aligning with valves

Post by anthonygos »

Is your cylinder head ports offset or inline..?
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bolens1053 »

The cylinder head ports are in line on it.

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

You have the later type cylinder head which should be no problems in fitting, remove tappet cover and make sure you drop the push rods in the appropriate holes and you can see them on the cam followers (valve tappets), can't see any other reason for this unless you have taken apart the rocker arm shaft and not assemble it correctly.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

bolens1053
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bolens1053 »

I don't even have the pushrods in yet the whole assembly seems like it is about 1/16 inch back from the tops of the valve stems. I would load pictures but I don't have a place to load them to. I think it should be alright the way it is it ran before like this. I have disassembled the whole rocker arm assembly and put it together two different ways so I know I have it together right.