FSM rear axle / wheel

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mrmike
Not Quite Blue Yet

FSM rear axle / wheel

Post by mrmike »

Hello, Ive recently inherited a FSM and used it to blow snow last winter. At the end of the season i noticed a lot of oil had started to leak from the end of the axle. On closer inspection i noticed that the oil retaining cap had come away from the rear axle housing. Ive got the back end of the tractor in the air and there is no exsesive play in the wheel so I guess the bearings are ok. Do I need to tighten the locking nut behind the bull wheel or can I just push the cap back on? I also noticed the greasing nipple is missing and the hole is full of dirt im going to have to put a new one on.

Ive tried to remove the rear wheel but ive no idea how its attachd. I have loosend the nuts but it sems that thay werent doing anything. The taperd washers seem to be the wrong way around. Ive used penetrating oil a BFH and a comealong

Thanks, Mike.

mrmike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: FSM rear axle / wheel

Post by mrmike »

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

hi mike i have never seen any thing like that here i take it your in canada or the states however the studs and nuts look like there off an old ford dual wheel truck. if thats so you would take off the large nut which would normally hold on the outer wheel then undo the inner with the square drive it looks like its pulled partly through the hole and its probly trying to bring the wheel with it so may not be apparent that its undoing also make sure the nuts arnt left hand thread and the wheels are oftern allmost a press fit on the axal centre . i think you can push the seal back on and preen round the edge to keep it on b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

mrmike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mrmike »

Wow you are right got the wheel off the square nut was holding the rim on. Had to use a long bit of pipe to get the nuts to turn. Im in the North of Finland by the way. Thanks for your help.

teejay01
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by teejay01 »

hello, I have seen that you also have a missing grease nipple, can you please advise me of the size of the grease nipple as I can't the right one to fit the hole. john

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

It's a bit smaler than 8 mm. Don't know the inch size.
It has to be hamered in, theres no thread on it.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I