Steering Kingpins

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
nhebayer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering Kingpins

Post by nhebayer »

Hello... Reaney in from New Hampshire USA. I recently acquired a Fordson Diesel.

I do not know year or model... it says Major on the hood. I cant find any serial numbers on it.
I have no history at all.. I purchased from a scrap guy that found it in a field.

Here is my problem... The steering is horrible. The Kingpin bushings are junk... as are the bearings. I purchased a kit for a Major online and had it shipped from accross the pond. the kit had bushings of 2 different sizes, Top and bottom. Well both are to small. my spindles are the same size top and bottom and larger then the standard kits im finding online.

Im at a loss.... I got no idea how or where to find these parts. I will need to disassemble again to get the size of the shaft.

Has anybody ran into this?

I realize that without more details its going to be hard to figure out. But Im really just opening the duscussion. Tell me what you need to help and Ill get it.

Thank you

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Steering Kingpins

Post by sandymac »

Hi and welcome. Some photos would help .

Sandy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have run into the problem of rubbish aftermarket parts. The only difference between the bushes top and bottom is that the top bush has a blind end to the grease groove and the bottom bush is open both ends. I do not have the outer diameter of the bushes but the inner one is 1.500" to 1.501" (38.098 to 38.123 mm) top and bottom.

The serial number is either on the flange behind the starter or stamped under the number 1 injector on a flat machined area on the block.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

...and the serial number should also be on a little plate on the bulkhead in front of the battery, it's protected from the weather there and is usually easy to read :)

oh and yes, a photo or 2 paint a thousand words 8)
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Daz111
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Daz111 »

Hi there some times we have to do some drastic things to fix the problem properly. I have done this to 2 Fordsons with good results. It is a big help that there is a good center in each end of the stub shafts when you machine them in the lathe hope the photos help. The axle where the bushing go get worn to, it is easy to mig weld up also ( Hope the photos turn out first time posting )