PM Temp Gauge

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
halloween
True Blue

PM Temp Gauge

Post by halloween »

Hi all, its been a while!

Finally got round to getting some cheap dials for the Power Major and got myself one of these.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281706029489? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Where on the engine does the probe screw in??

I have a farmer rigged oil pressure gauge going in to the left side of the engine but can't figure where this should go.

Any help gratefully received.
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

58vintage
True Blue

Re: PM Temp Gauge

Post by 58vintage »

Hi,

That screws into a threaded hole in the top left-hand side of the cylinder head, not far from the thermostat housing.

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Cheers, just had a look at mine and I have a plug with a square hole in it round about there. Just unscrew that and screw in the probe?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

halloween wrote:Cheers, just had a look at mine and I have a plug with a square hole in it round about there. Just unscrew that and screw in the probe?
yes, but part of the cooling water coming from the radiator will come out, so watch out.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Ah well. I unscrewed the bung as directed and indeed some water came out. But when I went to screw in the new probe, the thread is the right size but the actual probe part just drops through into the header! Its as if there should be a shoulder inside there for the probe to fit against with the threaded nut sealing it all together but life is never that easy. All the supplier would say is "We sell a lot of these and it is not something that we have come across?" Anyone any clues if an adapter of some kind might be available???

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Bring it back and demand refund or another one .,I fitted one on my super a few years ago and it is still ok ,typical spurious rubbish .Liam.