identify the tractor type

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TimMarquee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: identify the tractor type

Post by TimMarquee »

Hey taff,

It could be a number of things! My FPM ran for a bit when I first got it and all of a sudden it died. I sent the pump off to Bob Beck (highly recommend him) and he completely rebuilt it as he found it was U/S. However, I’d check that you don’t have an air blockage, maybe pull the air intake pipe off of the intake manifold and try starting. You could also have an injector problem, even one injector down will cause the engine to either not start, start and be lumpy/knocking, or indeed fire up and then die immediately. If you have diesel coming up to the injectors it’s unlikely to be a fuel supply issue. Injectors can easily be checked by someone like Bob Beck, but can obviously add expense to diagnosing whether it’s the pump or the injectors.

My money is on your pump, but I’m only an ex-recovery man and have limited knowledge on fuel systems (I used to drive a recovery truck rather than do roadside fixes!)

Could also be worth checking your injection timing, although unlikely but relatively easy and quick to do.

Cheers, Tim

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Taff,

I think your photo's are behind a login account so you can see them I don't. :cry:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi

If this is a tractor that has stood for some time, it is likely that there is an issue with the fuel rack sticking in the injection pump due to ingress of moisture. When the engine starts the governor diaphragm quickly moves the rack back against governor spring pressure to idling setting, the rack sticks and the engine stops.

Take off the pump side cover, which will either be a 4 bolt fitting (early tractors) or an 8 bolt fitting (later tractors). You will see the pumping elements and the pump control rack. Liberally spray the control rack and the elements with either a good penetrating oil or WD40, and the bushes at each end of the control rack.

When the engine is not running the rack moves under governor spring pressure to maximum governed speed setting, this is why these engines always start so well, when the engine starts the vacuum diaphragm moves against the governor spring to move the control rack to the engine running position which is dependant on the throttle lever position.

Operate the fuel shut off lever backwards and forwards, you should see the rack moving from maximum fuel to zero fuel position, keep spraying the rack and elements and the bushes at either end of the rack whilst moving the fuel shut off lever backwards and forwards. Do this many times until everything is freely moving.

When the rack moves freely start the engine. Take off the pigtail cambox overflow pipe and union and with a pump type oil can full of clean engine oil spray the pump elements and rack with oil .
Empty the full oil can over the elements and rack and allow the surplus to overflow of of the cambox drain hole. Do this again with another full can of oil to ensure that the cambox us thoroughly flushed whilst keeping the engine running. Refit the pump side cover and when the oil drain off hole stops running refit the banjo bolt and pigtail pipe.

This should sort the problem. Let us know how you go on.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.