Choosing and finding a Fordson Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Choosing and finding a Fordson Major

Post by mathias1 »

outwest wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:06 pm
fenhayman wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:33 pm
Dan if you're going to use a topper or anything driven by PTO seriously consider a "Live Drive" Major
I'm starting to think that's the way to go. Is there some way to tell by looking at the machine, e.g. a badge?

EDIT
On the subject of a Super Major, obviously this is quite pricey but, depending on what it's had done, it might be interesting...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265809391362

Dan
actually it's simple to see on the HI/LO lever
If the HI is up, then you have live drive.
Dead drive has the HI in the lower position
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Dan, That seems alot of money for something that has been (badly) painted. Looking at the pics it hasn't had anything else done to it, even the battery and jubilee clip on the breather have paint on them and the tank looks as though it has filler on the bottom, possibly because it is rusty and leaks. Unless you know it has had a full restoration, mechanical as well as cosmetic, i think you would be better buying something that hasn't been touched, at least that way it is easier to tell whether it has been looked after. I have seen alot of very tired tractors sell at auction for good money just because they have had some paint thrown at them and they look good from 50 yards away. Also bear in mind when you are looking at a Major that a set of tyres is almost £1000 if it needs them
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

John b wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:56 pm
Hi Dan, That seems alot of money for something that has been (badly) painted.
I was thinking the same about the paint, which is the only bit I am capable of judging. Looks careless in parts, with little patches of rust.

Dan

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I don't want to sound big headed but I've just spent 12 months restoring a Major (including engine) and it looks alot better than that one. The way i see it is if you can't be bothered to get a good finish then what are the bits you can't see like? At £5000+ you are in the ford 4000/4600 range, more modern and usually with a cab
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

John b wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm
At £5000+ you are in the ford 4000/4600 range, more modern and usually with a cab
I see your point - I've been looking a lots of different makes and models, as you can imagine! - but if you choose wisely you'd hope to get a really good Major for £5,000. You probably wouldn't get a restored Ford 4000 of similar quality for that amount. And then with the increased modernity you start to get increased complexity as well, so you still have compromises, just compromises of a different type. (I'm not sure a cab is desirable for my specific case.)

I look forward to a pointer to photos of your Major.

I have this evening realised that there is a vintage working day (including ploughing etc.) being held 10 minutes from me in early September. I shall pop along and have a chat to people.

Dan

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I did this for a friend who has a small cider museum at his farm, not much profit in it but alot of satisfaction

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

John b wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:05 pm
I did this for a friend who has a small cider museum at his farm, not much profit in it but alot of satisfaction
No kidding. That's lovely. It does indeed look a lot better than the one I linked to.

Dan

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Thanks Dan. I think an older restoration may be worth looking at as whoever did it may be looking for a new challenge, but i can tell you from experience that there is no money to be made doing it. If it's a fresh resto i would worry whether it was done properly as it doesn't make much financial sense to do it properly and sell it

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

John b wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:22 pm
If it's a fresh resto i would worry whether it was done properly as it doesn't make much financial sense to do it properly and sell it
Agree 100%.
That Super Major looked like it hadn't even been given quite the right colour, but that's difficult to see, still far too expensive.
The working day should be great to find a good tractor.
You can also tell a live clutch because of the increase of pressure halfway down pedal travel and a stop pin in the stop bracket.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

With regard to the comments from John and Sandy, I'm not looking for a pretty tractor (my Defender is an old nail and I'm fine with that) but paradoxically it may be that my best bet of finding a mechanically sound example is to look for ones on which the restorer has paid as much attention to the cosmetics as the oily bits, as an indicator of a careful/perfectionist streak in the restorer.

Dan

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I would still prefer an unrestored one, as then you can see what care it's had and any leaks that might be important. It'll also be cheaper.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:24 pm
If you get a Super Major you can get a DAR valve, you can fit a similar thing to an earlier Major, but it's more difficult.
Something like this 1957 example at the Nevern show today? Note name on bonnet!

Levers...

And ports.

Patina here...

...and patina there.

Rear end.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That's a very nice Major, it has a live clutch and the very rare Ford auxiliary valve, it's not double acting but you can get round that. The bottom pipe will work with the arms, and is very useful for using something like a Cameron Gardener rear loader. The upper one will work independently, and you want to fit an extra double acting valve to that pipe (which becomes the high pressure pipe), the return should be by the oil filler, but to save the original one for when you're not using the valve get a second filler cap which needs to be drilled and tapped for the return pipe. You'll notice a small screw near the top of the auxiliary quadrant, that will enable you to feed the extra valve continuously when needed, when you don't need it you need to move the lever to the lowering position to depressurise and empty the valve before removing it. This will keep the extra valve out of the way when mowing. You can also use a hydraulic log splitter with this, but ensure you set the extra valve's relief valve pressure to just below 2000psi to avoid tripping the tractor unloading valve (set at 2200psi) all the time and having to lower the auxiliary lever to reset it.
I would go for this one, it needs a bit of work but you should have plenty of time to do it.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:27 pm
I would go for this one, it needs a bit of work but you should have plenty of time to do it.
Very helpful and interesting as usual Sandy, but unfortunately it's not for sale, as far as I know.

I lurked for a while but the owner didn't show up, and the chaps having a clonc round the TE20 next to the Major didn't know his identity. There was another Major there, from 1953, but had been repainted and did not look as good.

Lots of Massey kit. Useful to see an MF 135 and MF 165 side-by-side for comparison - quite a difference! Also a mix of pre- and post-Force Ford 3000s and 4000s, an assortment of white and red DBs, and what looked like a Nuffield on a trailer in the distance. In general there was a good balance of machinery in its working clothes and smarter stuff.

In the cars, a lovely little Austin 8 stood out for me. I have never seen one in the metal before.

Dan

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

That's a shame, still, at least it's being looked after. Do you happen to have any pics of the 53 Major?
Good to know there was a good turnout, it's always nice to see all the different tractors of the period next to each other, particularly if they're in good condition.
Keep at it, you'll find one soon.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:04 pm
That's a shame, still, at least it's being looked after. Do you happen to have any pics of the 53 Major?
In good nick, as I said, but not as interesting.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I can't see the high-low lever, It looks better than many, I think it might have worked a bit after the new paint. I've always liked the early Major's, but this one is unusual in having the 7.50-16 tyres, a very rare option in that period (it became more usual later with more front end loaders). Apart from the missing lever and the orange grills (they are the correct woven wire ones) I think it's a pretty good 53 Major.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:16 am
I can't see the high-low lever, It looks better than many, I think it might have worked a bit after the new paint.
Well, we pretty much only have agriculture and tourism round here, so it's more than likely that it's been used as intended.
Where is the high-low lever usually? This refers to the main gearbox?

Dan

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The high-low lever is the one that points towards the rear axle on the 57 Major, on the RH side next to the dash. It turns the old Fordson (E27N 7.7 green spot) 3 speed gearbox into a 6 speed one. These levers often come loose, requiring different repairs depending on the type. On the 53 the lever was retained by a pin, this always came loose too easily, and in 1954 was replaced by a clamp bolt. This arrangement works fine as long as you keep the bolt tight, the 57 Major suffering the result of that not being done, hence the lever pointing down.
I also missed the handbrake, which was optional at the time and a rare option.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

At the risk of further arousing Sandy's ire with more expensive (and moreover restored!) Majors, here is one from Facebook Marketplace.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2118975994

Probably 1963, says the seller, but it has lights on stalks instead of in the grill. Looks like it has been used since restoration. There is a winch on the back. Perhaps this ↓ valve arrangement is related to that? It also has the pulley thing (are they not dangerous?).

Dan

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

The valve controls are standard Super Major but the wheels are wrong and for that price i would want everything to be correct, it may not matter for use but it will affect the price if you ever came to sell it. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think lights were an optional extra so not all had them from new, and the pulley is only as dangerous as the person using it (the pulley guard is a handy foot rest to stop you sliding off the seat going down a steep hill!). It's very important to check the operation of the dual clutch and also the gearbox/back end oil levels are correct before buying one as the gearbox/pto internal seals can fail allowing the gearbox oil to drain into the back end. Clutch and internal seals can be an expensive fix (£700 for the clutch parts alone) and both jobs require splitting the tractor. I have known of tractors being sold because the pto clutch was failing and without connecting something to the pto it can be hard to tell. Please don't think i'm doubting your mechanical knowledge, but if you are looking at spending that sort of money take someone with you who really knows Majors, they are pretty bullet proof but can also land you with a very large parts and labour bill if something is wrong internally, it's not always easy to tell but soon shows up when you put it to work!
John

outwest
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by outwest »

John b wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:06 pm
for that price i would want everything to be correct, it may not matter for use but it will affect the price if you ever came to sell it.
I agree. I'm a "buy once, cry once" person in that I don't mind paying money for something sorted as opposed to buying something cheap and paying in time later, but if it's expensive it needs to be right.
Please don't think i'm doubting your mechanical knowledge, but if you are looking at spending that sort of money take someone with you who really knows Majors
Very sensible advice John, and my mechanical knowledge of tractors is close to zero, so you'd be quite right to doubt! If it were a simple 1980s motorbike like my little trailie then I'd feel up to at least trying it. Conversely, with tractors I have to be cautious about machinery with potential problems because I'd run into my limits almost immediately. That's why I'm tipping towards "restored" rather than "would make a great restoration project": unless the restoration has been an outright disaster you'd have to think it left the tractor in less rather than more need of work.

My problem is that I don't have the support network of mates who are knowledgeable on tractors that I could tap into for guidance, which I would have with bikes. Hence the information-gathering on this forum, which has been very helpful.

Dan

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I started many years ago on an FS1E, and finished on a ZX7R, with many bikes of all shapes and sizes in between, rheumatoid arthritis finished my riding. I also learned that if you keep your leathers in a dark cupboard they shrink, at least thats what i tell myself!!!
The problem i have seen is that so many restorations seem to just involve fixing the leaks and chucking some paint at it, and i know people that do it just to make a few quid. Original Majors just had everything (wiring, pipes and even exhaust) sprayed blue in the factory, so a 'back to factory' resto would be the same, but it can also be a half arsed job where blobs of grease and mud get painted over. As the saying goes, looks good from far, but is far from good!

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Top link connection als non std. This is a painted tractor but still to be restored
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Not a Major, but would do all you want and not far away.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255675281874 ... name=11021
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!