Power Major White Smoke

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
fordsonstreet
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Major White Smoke

Post by fordsonstreet »

Hi all,

My first post!

I Have a power major which I'm restoring she starts on the button and runs no problem but puffs white smoke and when I throttle her up she pours out a mixture of white/black smoke any ideas?
I've re-timed the pump @ 23deg, had the injectors overhauled and all clean filters and bowl.

I'm miffed and hoping someone can offer me some new ideas.

Thanks all.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Does it only do it when it is cold? Or does it do it at operating temp also? My Power Major will puff some white smoke until it warms up, and then it burns clean.

Welcome aboard... :D Dandy Dave.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

How about water in the radiator? Does it go down? White smoke can be an indication of a head gasket failure. This was common on Power Majors especialy if they still have the flat topped liners fitted and not the spigited ones.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fordsonstreet
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordsonstreet »

Hello,

Thanks for your advise, no it doesn't loose water but i haven't run it for long because it smokes so much so it hasn't had a chance to get up to a normal running temp.

I am scratching my head on this one!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

OK. It might be that you need to get it working really hard for a while. It could be that you are just doing light work and what you are getting is oil smoke.

Another thing to try which is quite easy, take the air cleaner hose off at the manifold and see what happens to the smoke. Do not rev her too hard as the engine will rev a lot higher with the air hose off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fordsonstreet
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordsonstreet »

Ok, thanks I'll give that a try and let you know.

fordsonstreet
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fordsonstreet »

it still smokes with the air cleaner off just the same.