'62 Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
essex pete
True Blue

'62 Super Major

Post by essex pete »

Hi All

This afternoon I was looking at a very nicely restored orange wheel super.
I know this has been talked about quite a lot but here are some finishing questions.

Colour of grill?
Colour of front badge?
Colour/type of side bonnet bages?
Was everything coated in blue at the factory?

They had to use some new panels due to the poor state of originals. They had quite a lot of grief making some of the remanufacured parts fit.

Anther annoying thing for them was the purchase in a sale of a good secondhand rear rim ,only to discover it will not fit. It does not have the squared holes on the lugs (round holes). Might it have been a Nuffield?

regards Peter

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

1. Silver.
2. Orange and chrome.
3. Orange and chrome. Large badges on bonnet sides about midway.
4. Yes, everything. Even the wiring looms.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Thanks Brian.
I think he is OK on the badges but dare I say the grill is orange.

Is this what it should look like?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/261 ... 34.jpg?v=0

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, that is exactly right Pete.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Brian wrote:Yes, that is exactly right Pete.
Nope
This is what it should look like

Not that I am biased.

Oh yes, the plough is a Ford Ransomes 3EPJ, Ford version of the TS59. This plough belongs to a 1953 Major. They where only made for 2 years before Ford reverted to selling the TS59. TS59 was developed after the EPJ. This one has digger bodies. I have another that I am restoring with YLs.
Last edited by Steven B on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

I bought an old grill some years ago, now I needed it for the power and I sandblasted them there were 5 paint colors on it

Orange, Grey, blue, grey and finally........ the silver grey so the new one gets the silvergrey grills
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Steven can you post a picture direct on here?

What is wrong with the picture I have posted? The Gov said it is OK :)

What colour should the exhaust be?

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I can see Steven's picture if I use my Yahoo password. What a nice Super!

My guess is that the exhaust should be blue, Pete. Let's see what Brian says.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Just a small thin abouth the super, a pully cant be blue when used once it must be blanc
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Brian wrote:Your picture does not come up without a password Steven!
Fixed
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

JC wrote:I can see Steven's picture if I use my Yahoo password. What a nice Super!

My guess is that the exhaust should be blue, Pete. Let's see what Brian says.
Exhaust would be blue but burns off pretty quick. Some tractors even had the gear knobs blue.

These where a few details that are not correct on my tractor. I just couldn't bring myself to paint the tacho cable, radiator hoses, gear knobs or wiring loom.

Also the check chains where CAD plated on mine and I didn't paint them.

Steve

henk

Post by henk »

What a great scenery Steven.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Yes great scenary Steven.

Looking at the wheel colour on yours I note that it looks fairly subdued. Do folk make the mistake of painting with an orange that is too bright and hard?
Were does the clour lie in relation to say Nuffield or Howard oranges?

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

essex pete wrote:Yes great scenary Steven.

Looking at the wheel colour on yours I note that it looks fairly subdued. Do folk make the mistake of painting with an orange that is too bright and hard?
Were does the clour lie in relation to say Nuffield or Howard oranges?
Brian reckons Howard Rotivator orange is close. I had mine matched to the PTO transfers and to pictures in Stuart Gibards books at the local paint outlet. It looks more yellow than some I have seen but matches early photos and the original 1961 film advert for the Super. My one maybe a bit to yellow but some restorations seem way to dark.

Steve

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

OK, So Pete's has a silver exhaust not a blue one. The blue one was only when new and lasted for about 4 hours on the plough if you were lucky.

I do wish that they had enameled the exhaust so that it remained blue. Henrietta is the worst tractor for exhausts I have known. Because they are red hot all the time, and glow in the dark, she would get through an exhaust a year. My friend at the local s/h dealer sold me one finished in black enamel three years ago and it is still as good as when I got it out of the box. It was also in line price wise, with replacement parts offered at CNH and spares dealers at £20.00.

Replacement exhausts were silver ex Fords so that is good enough for me. :D
Brian

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Yes that first tractor is very nice. The wheel orange on that tractor may be more correct than mine but I am not sure.

Silver is correct as Brian said for replacement exhaust.

Mine is powder coat black but I have painted it blue. I may use HiTemp engine paint to touch it up but its seems to last.