PTO shaft question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO shaft question

Post by John-Paul »

Hi All

I removed my PTO shaft today - or rather had a "test removal" of it to see how easy it would be, and to remove the paper gasket with a view to using it as a template for a possible blanking plate.

The problem I have is that the pto output shaft has been bent at some time, to the extent that the shaft appears to wobble when rotating, and the oil seal is no longer effective.

Does anyone know if the PTO shaft is all one piece (ie all 5 feet or so of it!) or is it possible to replace just the rear section with the splines?

Many thanks

John-Paul

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

pto shaft is all one piece, with a tooth ring at rear end that when pto is engaged drives hydraulic pump, removing pto alltogether will mean no hydraulics.

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

super6 wrote:pto shaft is all one piece, with a tooth ring at rear end that when pto is engaged drives hydraulic pump, removing pto alltogether will mean no hydraulics.
OK, thanks.

Plan was to drive the tractor from where it is now (about 30km away) to my house with a temporary plate over the pto hole, so that I could have oil in the back end during the journey and not have it leak out on the way. I don't have a need for a pto on this tractor at the moment, but we do need the pump to work as it will hopefully be pulling a grader blade for snow work this winter, and obviously that needs the arms to be working.

If I was in the UK, there's a straight looking replacement on ebay at the moment that seems very reasonably priced. That would be too easy though wouldn't it!

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

could you have shaft re machined to a smaller diameter where the seal is located and fit a bigger seal.
maybe easier than finding a secondhand one.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

John-Paul,

If you like to have a picture of such a shaft, check the Wiki-page on this website (article about raised pto).

Good luck with it.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

Hi

Yes, I did wonder about machining / straightening even. I don't loose anything by taking the old shaft to the local machine shop and seeing what they think.

I have a line-drawing of the shaft in the workshop manual - there it appears as one piece, but when I had the shaft in my hand (for a few minutes) it appeared that the main length of the shaft and the splined output were made of different material. That's what made me wonder if it was possible to change just the output splines.

Thanks folks!

J-P

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Why oh why did you not mention it when we were in Charlies yard. You were too busy making eyes at those two ex army diggers. :roll:

Any news on the fork lift front? There are a couple of shafts here that could find their way into the load.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

Brian wrote:Why oh why did you not mention it when we were in Charlies yard. You were too busy making eyes at those two ex army diggers. :roll:

Any news on the fork lift front? There are a couple of shafts here that could find their way into the load.
The honest answer is that then it was such a long time since I'd looked at the ASP that I'd completely forgotten about the problem :oops:

No news about the fork lifts yet but I'm sure it's going to happen. Our friend is so busy at the moment (he does silage contracting) that he doesn't really have time to think about anything else at the moment. So busy in fact that I have been working for him on one of those "green things" tedding and baling small square bales.

As a side note, in addition to the telehandlers I've had a very serious enquiry for a 5 tonne-ish rubber tracked 360 too, and also a Smart car (one of those moped/mercedes things) too.

I won't do anything about the shaft just yet then, if one can be sourced from round your way. Maybe for now I just pour the french onion soup back in (will strain some of the noodles out) and be content with a FOS level about that of the bottom of the PTO shaft - at least that means about 20 litres, enough to ensure that the pump isn't going to be run dry.