Adding 3pt hitch and Hydraulics to a Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Alaric
Not Quite Blue Yet

Adding 3pt hitch and Hydraulics to a Power Major

Post by Alaric »

Has anyone had experience with adding 3pt hitch and Hydraulics to a Power Major? I have a 1959 Power Major without Hydraulics, I will have all the external parts of the 3pt hitch, the cover assembly, pipe, pump and filter/pickup assembly from a diesel major next week. The only thing I know I’m missing is the gear for the PTO shaft. Does anyone know of a problem with fitting these parts to my Power Major or where I can get the gear, key and snap rings for the PTO shaft?

Thanks,

Richard Chase
Maine, USA
Richard Chase

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Richard,

Have you also got the PTO housing that takes the drive from the gearbox? Everything else should just bolt on without a problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Alaric
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Alaric »

I don’t have the parts in my possession yet, should have them Tuesday afternoon.
My understanding is that all parts except the previously mentioned gear should be included.

What part are you referring to? The mount the pump bolts to that sits under the PTO Shaft?

Richard
Richard Chase

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, there is a gear housing that goes under the gearbox that takes the drive from a gear in the main box for the PTO shaft.

It has the PTO selector bolted to the side and sliding gear and splined shaft in it.

You will have a plain plate under your gearbox if it has never had a PTO.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Alaric
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Alaric »

You mean the gearbox under the belly of the tractor inline with the round cover where the flat belt pulley would go if I had one, which drives the PTO.
I believe the tractor has a PTO on it. I have the gearbox referred to above, the handle to engage it and a tin cover about 3” long that I presume covers the PTO output, I’ve never had occasion to remove it to see if the shaft is really there.

Richard
Richard Chase

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Alaric,

What Brian means is the house were the red arrow is pointing to. There also should be a lever on the left side that goes into the house, to put the pto in gear.

I have done the job. Its very easy. Don't forget the seal of the filter pedestal and the pto. The gear wheel is easy to fit.
If you want to know the exact parts for the power major 3p hitch just look over here.
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/liftparts.html
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds like you have the PTO in place. You only need the lift, pump and pipework. Your gear will possibly be on the shaft already.
Brian

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Henk, that is one pretty tractor. Great photo!
Never give up!

henk

Post by henk »

Thanks Kim,

Looks pritty on a picture but in real you can see the years.
Im fond with her, but today she let me down. Would not start for a game of ring riding.
I think it's a problem in the starter switch.
Kind regards, Henk

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Henk,

That's too bad! Did you get her started eventually?
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

henk

Post by henk »

Pascal,

Just a few meters with a tow from another tractor and off she went.
Kind regards, Henk