Play in lift arm cross shaft

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
dennis
Not Quite Blue Yet

Play in lift arm cross shaft

Post by dennis »

Hello,

I am renovating my 1953 Fordson Major Diesel and have found excessive play in the lift arm cross shaft. The inner bearings were found to be particularly badly worn and deeply pitted. I had planned to turn off the affected surface and sleeve the bearing but this would still leave an unsatisfactory job as the holes through the middle of the bearing are also worn.

Has anybody had to deal with a similar problem or does anyone know of a supplier of bearings, bushes and seals for this square section shaft.

Thanks,
Dennis

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Dennis,

Welcome to this board.

I have renewed all the parts on my major with some better used parts. I have not found any of those parts new. I don't think there are.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello,

New parts are not available for as far as I know. I can only tell what we had done some years ago.

Turned down the steel bearings with the square holes on the lath to make them round again.

Then made new brass bushes on the lath to be fitted into the casting and reinstalled the whole assembly on the tractor.

Play between square shaft and the bearins has been there since new I think, only in the beginning it was less.

Try to find another lift cover and make 1 out of two with the best parts is the easiest way of dealing with it.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

dennis
Not Quite Blue Yet

play in lift arm cross shaft

Post by dennis »

Hello,

Henk and Emiel,

Thank you for your very prompt replies to my post.

You both confirm what I thought, that no new parts are available.

That being the case I will try a different method to eliminate the play to that which you describe.

I propose to fabricate new bearings, each made up from four rectangular pieces of bright steel bar. The width of each piece will be only as wide as the cross shaft i.e. 1 3/4" and the length as long as the original bearing.
The four pieces will be clamped to the square shaft and welded for their full length down each external corner. The fabrication will then be removed from the square bar and welded internally at each corner to form fillets.
At this stage the through hole in the fabrication will resemble the original bearings through hole.
All that remains then is to mount this assembly on a mandrel in the lathe and turn the outside diameter to size and face off the ends.
My friend was a professional welder all his working life and will help me, so no problem there.

I have ommitted some of the detail from my description but hope it is clear enough for you to get the picture.

Dennis

henk

Post by henk »

Dennis,

I think this is a thoroughly repair and I'm sure the lift will work perfectly when you are finished.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I