Roadless Major with Brockhause transmission

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Grani
True Blue

Roadless Major with Brockhause transmission

Post by Grani »

Not many of these left. Only a fev buildt 1961-1962.
http://www.nettikone.com/viewMachine.ph ... ine=713086

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

never heard or seen or this before, what did they change on it

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

super6 wrote:never heard or seen or this before, what did they change on it
It has a torque converter fitted instead of a normal clutch and gearbox.
The fromtloader and the cab is the same as on my Roadless. :lol:
It's however in poor shape. :cry:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

She is a poor old girl! I would hate to think what the inside of the transmission is like.

Brockhouse transmissions were used in County tractors on the aircraft tug versions. That one looks like it was for loader work and would give instant reversing at the pull of a lever.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hi All,

The Brockhouse Torque Converter was available in the Super Major, Industrial or Agricultural tractor, from early 1962. It was very expensive. When the basic tractor on 15x30 rears cost AU1485 Pounds, the Brockhouse Torque Converter cost a further AU581 Pound.

There were photos on the old site of a Twin Powered Scraper built on two Fordsons and these were originally fitted with the Brockhouse. The owner removed them and fitted conventional Fordson Gear Boxes.
BarryM

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Grani we had a major based Weatherill 12H fitted with a Brockhouse t/c and would have put it at about 1959/60. It was quite quick forward and back when adjusted right but it would easily get too hot and then would hardly drag its self along. Even in the late 70s early 80s parts were impossible. A farm I worked on in Suffolk had a Chaseside LM700 fitted with one as well and that ended in the nettles until a neighbour bought it and fitted a manual box.
I guess someone with enough tech know-how and money could perhaps rebuild one if the main components were salvable.

The main principle were epicyclics with brake bands to achieve the gears. It had Hi and Lo fwd plus rev.