controll box connections

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Andrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

controll box connections

Post by Andrew »

Hi,
I would like to ask about the correct connections to the controll box, since the dynamo does not charge the battery at all and i have some doubts that something must be wrongly connected. The field wire does not get any electrictiy. I have checked the dynamo with: connecting it to a battery it spins.
thanks
Andrew[img][img]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9682/controllbox.jpg[/img][/img]
Andrew

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That looks like the wrong regulator. There should be four terminals marked D, E, A and F.

D .. Goes to the large output terminal on the Dynamo.
E .. Goes to Earth.
A .. Goes to the Battery usually by the input terminal on the solenoid.
F goes to Field.

You seem to have onlt three terminals and, from the picture, none seem to be marked. Are they marked on the back or the cover?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Andrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andrew »

Brian,
Thanks a lot. I have bought the machine with this regulator, it seems like amatures had assembled that. Please give me some advices which part should i order to get charging worked. The dinamo itself has been tested. Please find below some pictures to identify my tractor.
Andrew
[img][img]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3136/cimg7427.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6126/cimg7428.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4244/cimg7429.jpg[/img][/img]
Andrew

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Check out the regulaters here. I would venture to guess it would depend on which type of connectors and mounts that you have.

http://www.agrilineproducts.com/retail% ... logue.html

My FPM had the spade connectors so I installed a number 5078.

Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Andrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the information.
But before i order an original Lucas controll box, i gave another try to get charging all right.
I have removed the generator and disambled it. I found one of the brushes stucked without contact to the commutator. I fixed it and isolated the brush wires since they were not. To check the generator function i have conacted it to a battery with the battery + to the house and the battery - to the F terminal (the smaller one) to make it be an electronic motor. It worked. Does it mean that in the case the dynamo is all right?
Then changed the controll lamp bulb since it was faulty.
Then i have reconnected everything as it was "originally". The left to the D pole of the dynamo together with the controll lamp. Actually is it where the F terminal gets it voltage?
The middle connection was connected to the F terminal of the dynamo, finally the right one (cut out relay?) to the batter + pole.
So i jump started the engine and no charging at all. When i connected the D and F terminal and measured it against ground it read 2,4 V only. If the dynamo got electricity through F terminal why does not it produce more voltage on D terminal? Polarization might be the problem?
Andrfew
Andrew

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have a "bodged" system on that tractor. It is a Fordson Major Diesel and these tractors never had a warning light. Also the warning lamp should not be connected to the "D" terminal. It is possible that the way it is wired has blown the dynamo.

Your best bet would be to wire her back to standard with a new regulator and a new or reconditioned dynamo.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Andrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andrew »

I see. Where can i find description of the original wiring?
Andrew

Andrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andrew »

My very last question concerning the dynamo before i buy a new one.
I took it to a shop where the dynamo has been tested on a probe desk. It did not charge at all though it could be used as an electromotor when it was connected D to negative and ground to positive. The service man told me that the armature must be destroyed with short circuit somewhere in it. My question: if the dynamo can be used as an electromotor, why it does not produce voltage if its function is reserved. I have read somewhere that a dynamo practicly a reversed electromotor.
thanks
Andrew
Andrew

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

It should show a reading, but, with some of the windings shorted it will not be enough to activate the regulator. On a 12 volt system, it should be showing 13.5 to 14.5 volts give or take. If the remaining windings in the generator only produce 10 volts, it is not enough. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Andrew
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andrew »

Thank you, I am going to buy a new dynamo.
Andrew
Andrew