more unload valve problems

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
super6
True Blue

more unload valve problems

Post by super6 »

my np major has lift and lower problems, having asked on this forum before i was told to check unload valve. i lifted top cover and found threaded plug for unload valve, i have tried all sorts but plug will not come out.
with a bolt threaded in and a socket with another nut on top, it will not budge and starts to strip threads in plug.
any idea how to solve this i am losing patients

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

In a shop manual they say that an impact puller or slide hammer is the tool for the job.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have never seen one that tight, They are colour coded to the cylinder so someone must have crammed in an oversized plug.

The special Churchill tool for getting them out was similar to what you have. A slide hammer might work but you do not get the pull on it that you are getting. Perhaps a spot of weld on the stud in the plug, let it cool then try again. Or a little heat to just warm the ram cylinder with the force on the drawing tool.

Grandmother and eggs time :oops: Are you sure the plug fits inside the socket you are using?

Go carefully. You may have great difficulty to get replacement items.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

i have never heard of either of them, can i even get one anywhere

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

how do you mean colour coded, mine is just silver metal colour, and ram cylinder is painted red

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The plug is like a cotton reel. Where it reduces in the middle there will be a drop of paint. You should have drops of paint on the control valve and on the ram cylinder itself in the areas of the valves. Each part is very precise in its measurements and must be handled carefully as any scratching, even by using fine wet and dry paper to clean things up, will terminally damage the parts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dom »

"Grandmother and eggs time :oops: "

You know I've never heard that expression before. How does that tie into being embarassed :?:

Regards .......Dom

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dom,
Olde English saying: "Teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" means telling someone something that they possibly already know. Sometimes, when you don't know someone it can be embarrassing.
Brian

Dom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dom »

Ok, the Grandmother bit threw me off the track.
Downunder we must be more direct as "I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs" is the common use.
But I guess in the end it's the Egg that binds all this together! :lol:

Thanks for the lesson Brian

Kind Regards........Dom

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

:D :D :D thanks for all your help hydraulics are know in perfect working order.
I had to weld a stud into the plug to get enough force to remove it, and really had to hit unload valve hard to free it from sleeve.