Super 6 water pump.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super 6 water pump.

Post by Sandy Mac »

I need to change the water pump on the super 6, but it isnt the same as on the majors. Anyone know what pump application i need to look for ?

cheers sandy

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Yes, the Trader 6 cilinder engine (590E) has the same waterpump as the Major.

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

No, the pump on the super 6 is a different length than the major

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Then that is because of the powersteering. Could be hard to find a new of that kind. Perhaps the repairkit is the same on both, I don,t know.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

can you post a pic so i can compare it to my d series engines,
these are same engine as they run in early 6 cyl countys and super 6,s

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Right, the shaft and bearings are the same as any major, i found an old good one and robbed these bits for the super 6's pump, only the front press on bit is different and also the pulley cone.

Also for Grani, the water pump has nothing to do with power steering.

cheers Sandy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sandy,

Glad to see you got back from Manchester, sorry about the result though.

Grani is right about the water pump though, Fords list a different pump for a PAS tractor E1ADKN 8501C. This could be because they use a different pulley and hub and the hub would be part of the pump.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Brian, glad to be back, that was a nightmare trip. To say manchester was overcrowded would be un understatemant....

Is it not the next (non major) type of county that used the water pump as a drive for the power steering pump? Dont think any of the Fordson supers used any means of driving the steering pump other than on crankshaft..??

cheers Sandy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sandy,
It seems to be the positioning of the pump drive pulley on the crank that requires the water pump pulley to be moved further forward. That requires a different hub which comes with the pump.

I have also come across ones which drive from the water pump pulley. The later 2700 engines had a pump that drove from the timing gears though I seem to remember the old belt drive systems on the very early 5000's.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Super 6 Water Pump

Post by BarryM »

Brian & Sandy,

Not sure about the Super, but the Power Major Power Steering Pump is driven from the water pump. The main difference being, the pulley sits behind the hub for power steering and in front of the hub for non power steering.
BarryM

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

If I have understand it right, the fan is moved forvard on tractors with powersteering othervise the fan is touching the pulley on the servopump.

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Grani wrote:If I have understand it right, the fan is moved forvard on tractors with powersteering othervise the fan is touching the pulley on the servopump.
Correct.!