Incorrect Double Lip Seal?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
70cyclone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Incorrect Double Lip Seal?

Post by 70cyclone »

Need help on a 1954 Major. Wanting to correct the problem of oil transfer from transmission to rear end. I don't think the double-lipped seal I got from CNH dealer (CNH part #81717957) is correct, according to the diagram from the archives. This seal is 3/4 wide, 3 1/2 OD, 2 1/8 ID. I feel the ID dimension is incorrect. Could someone tell me if I have the correct/incorrect seal. If incorrect, could someone give me the proper CNH part #? Thanks for any help!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I do not have the details of the seal but I can say that there are three seals for that area.

E1ADDN 7297 .. form June 1963 to end of production.
E1ADKN 7297A .. From 1952 to June 1963.

Both these are double lipped seals.

E1ADKN 7297B .. 1952 to June 1963. This was a single lipped seal and supplied in pairs so one fitted one way round and the other opposite if you see what I mean.

If you are changing this seal I would have taken it to your NH dealer and asked him to fit it. It really needs the special tool as it is easily damaged or the seal lip rucks back as you install it. Been there. Done that. Among hundreds of other ex Ford mechanics.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian