Decompression lever

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Decompression lever

Post by John-Paul »

Hi folks

I seem to remember reading somewhere that using the decompression lever to assist with starting the Major is bad for the engine. Could someone explain why this is please?

Many thanks,

J-P (who is off to hunt for the battery charger so he won't have to resort to this trick anyway)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It was only to be used to turn a cold engine by hand rather than a starting aid, if used in that way, valves and pushrods can be damaged.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

OK, thanks!

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

could someone please point out where this leaver is so i don't touch it, Thanks :shock:
Another unfinished project

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

front of the engine, near the valve cover.

danger will robinson danger.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

As Maxpower says but earlier tractors up to 1957 had the lever coming out of the rear of the cylinder head near the leak off pipe fitting.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

Brian wrote:As Maxpower says but earlier tractors up to 1957 had the lever coming out of the rear of the cylinder head near the leak off pipe fitting.
On my 1955 FMD it is in the front of the valve cover. It is an export model, though.

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi, My new engine has a decompresion lever on the front of the rocker cover. should it be up or down. It dosn't appear to make any difference ??
Thanks
Another unfinished project

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Tiger,

it should be down.
If it make no difference the lever is not taking the rod with it I think.
Normally the tractor won't run with the lever up, because there's no pressure in the cylinders.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rok25 »

Hi,
maybe I don't understand very well what Brian means but in my opinion,a decompressor is always a starting aid.Although I agree that it should be used whith caution and certainlly not engaged when the engine is running by itself.I have made a copy of the starting instructions whith decompressor from an instruction book for the (Ford) industrial engines but it is the same on a tractor.Note that use of decompressor is allowed either by electric starter cranking or by hand cranking.Obviously it is a two man operation unless you have a very long arm.

Image[/img]

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

now if i can only find a hand crank, been looking for one for five years!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you read the text it is the same as I said but instead of using the crank, they are using the starter. It is just to allow the engine to be turned, not for starting.

A number of diesel engines use a decompressor to allow the engine to get up speed before dropping back to full compression "on a roll". Field Marshal tractors did this and so did a number of stationary engines in cement mixers and dumpers. Swing like mad and when you have momentum, drop the decompressor and the speed helps the engine over compression and she starts.

Not so with the Major. You use the crank or short bursts on the starter to enable the engine to turn over slowly. Then reset it and start the tractor. This is what the manual and the instruction books say. And so do the bent pushrods and smashed rocker gear if it is not done in this way. :twisted:
Brian