Fordson Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
rscapriman
True Blue

Fordson Super Major

Post by rscapriman »

Hi does anyone happen to know the last serial number of the 1961 Super Major prior to the "OBA" type numbers looking on the net it would appear that the first number in Oct 1961 was 1619437 but what did they go up to?
Regards len.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

1621428 was the mid month number quoted in my Ford parts book.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Many thanks Brian, just bought a Super Major with engine number 1620734, It is currently fitted with a Whitlock front loader see pic but I am going to convert it back to a regular tractor.
Regards Len.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Nice looking machine, if you are looking to rehome any of the whitlock parts like rams or pump etc I have a similar unit and could use some spares.
Regards
Ed

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Hi Ed, sorry mate already sold the complete loader to another fordson fanatic.
Regards Len.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

No probs, just making sure it didnt head to the scrap pile!
Regards, Ed

FordsonBigM
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FordsonBigM »

Hi, i´m new here.
i know a trader near Bremen (Germany), who is selling a fordson major with this kind of frontend-loader.
If someone is interested, tell me, i will post a link to his homepage.

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

I have since taken the loader off the tractor and had it runniong for the first time in 6 or 7 years she sounds great everything appears to work fine
Regards RScapriman.

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

major power steering

Post by rok25 »

[quote="rscapriman"]I have since taken the loader off the tractor and had it runniong for the first time in 6 or 7 years she sounds great everything appears to work fine
Regards RScapriman.

[img]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/ ... CF2258.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/ ... CF2259.jpg[/img][/quote]

Hello,
it seems that you have a genuine Fordson power steering on your tractor.Could you post some pictures of it especially the pump mounting bracket,belt and pulleys.Because I have never seen one in flesh and there is nothing useful to find in Fordson factory literature and neither on the net . What I am curious about is how it is attached to the engine and how it is driven . I think it must be driven by an extra pulley on the cranckshaft but it is not clearly explained in the Fordson manuals or parts catalog .
By the way,did anybody tried the Agriline Major power steering kit.On the catalog picture the pump and its accessories don't seems at all suited for the tractor and are certainly not like the original ones and there is no extra crankshaft pulley.
Thanks.

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Hi Rok25, yes it has a genuine power steering set up and is driven off the crankshaft where an extra pulley is bolted to the front of the original one and the pump is fitted to a bracket bolted to the front of the cylinder head that has slotted vertical holes for belt adjustment.
Unfortunately I have pretty much stripped the tractor completely so cannot take any of the items in situ but I will take some of the individual components if that any use to you.
Regards Len.

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rok25 »

Hi,thank you for your quick answer.Of course I would be very interrested to see pictures of individual components.
Is the extra crankshaft pulley smaller than the standard one?
And just out of curiosity ,is it a genuine fordson front axle or a one off?
Regards

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Hi yes the extra pulley is slightly smalller, the axle is a whitlok item that is also why the front casting has a larger diameter hole in it to take the drive from the crankshaft to the hydraulic pump mounted to the front casting. After checking the casting codes it would appear that the front casting ( the tombstone) is indeed a year older than the rest of the tractor so I would think that the whitlock loader including front axle were added at a later date.
I will get some pics of the bracket, the pump and the extra pulley next time I go to the tractor.
Regards Len.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Rok25,

Maybe these pictures will help you to have an idea about the original powersteering?
Pictures are taken from a topic ("Super Major information") from Tim on the old forum. Tim owns a beautiful and fully equipped Super in army colours.

Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rok25 »

Hi ,Pascal
thank you for the information.I am in the process of reading all the old forum (new one is done) and I found this topic also recently.
It is a very interresting picture, but although now I have a clear understanding of the system ,I am still interrested by more pictures,maybe from the front whithout bonnet,and of individual components , as I don't have a full picture of the pump bracket nor of the extra pulley.I am not sure yet how it is attached to the crankschaft,probably by the 3 pulling holes of the standard pulley?
Also it seems that early cylinder heads didn't have provision for attaching the pump bracket (flat surface machined with 3 bolt holes),not sure when the change occured.It is surprising that such important informations are not mentionned in the factory litterature as far as I know.

Regards

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Hi Rok25, here are a couple of pics that I took today, sorry I forgot the front pulley will do that tomorrow if the snow allows me to get there.
Regards Len.

see here the 3 bolts for holding the second pulley

and the 3 here for holding the resevoir/pump bracket just in front of the manifold

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Looks like the same power steering that is on my Fordson Power Major, which was factory equiped. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Hi rok25, here are a couple of pics of the power steering pulley as I mentioned before this has an additional gear to frive the front mounted pump.
Regards Len.

Tiger
True Blue

Re: major power steering

Post by Tiger »

[size=150]rok25[/size] wrote:
rscapriman wrote:I have since taken the loader off the tractor and had it runniong for the first time in 6 or 7 years she sounds great everything appears to work fine
Regards RScapriman.

Hello,
it seems that you have a genuine Fordson power steering on your tractor.Could you post some pictures of it especially the pump mounting bracket,belt and pulleys.Because I have never seen one in flesh and there is nothing useful to find in Fordson factory literature and neither on the net . What I am curious about is how it is attached to the engine and how it is driven . I think it must be driven by an extra pulley on the cranckshaft but it is not clearly explained in the Fordson manuals or parts catalog .
By the way,did anybody tried the Agriline Major power steering kit.On the catalog picture the pump and its accessories don't seems at all suited for the tractor and are certainly not like the original ones and there is no extra crankshaft pulley.
Thanks.
power steering kit on ebay ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-MAJOR-POW ... 500wt_1182
Another unfinished project

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The power steering stuff on ebay looks very much like what I have on my Power Major. But the drag link looks like it has been cobbed up, welded, and repaired a bunch of times. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major