Dietmar's gearbox

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Dietmar's gearbox

Post by Brian »

Dietmar,

You have a live drive gearbox. The pictures show wear on the gear but I have seen worse. What are the others like? If the bearings are OK then the only thing left is the wear on the gears.

If you are getting gears from another tractor, there were modifications to the box and certain parts must not be mixed. Make sure that any donor tractor is the same year as yours. The changes took place at engine No.1435545 so the two boxes must be compatible.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dietmar's gearbox

Post by Dietmar »

Dear Brian!

I found that the small bearing from the end of the
upper main shaft has a slight bent cage. This might not be the problem on the High Gear issue.
I will replace it just to have it ok, as I have separated the complete gearbox by now.

In addition I found that the shaft guide of the main gear selector shaft (which is horizontally extruding from the gearbox aft) is sheered off just after where it comes out of the housing.
I have no idea how to fix this. Maybe I just have to let it drain oil to the other side.

The same will be with the High Gear issue. As I can not get a Bevel gear in Austria I will have to put it in HI and fix it in that position.

Best Regards

Dietmar

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dietmar,
Did you get my mail about the bearings. The Hoffman is available and the other one may be but I need details of size. Pictures of both would also be helpful.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Dear Brian!

Thank you I have located a less worn Bevel Gear and a replacement for the Selector Fork which is beyond any limit.
Now I have to assemble the parts to a Tractor.

I have located replacement Bearings and hope this helps somebody for reference
Drawing No: N-7065B
OEM Bearing PN: SKEFKO 162278C
Actual Replacement: NTN N406

Drawing No: N-7118D
OEM Bearing PN: Hoffmann R325LV3
Actual Replacement: FAG N305 EM1

Best regards from Austria

Dietmar

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Dietmar/Brian
What was the original fault of the gear box. You mentioned a problem with the high gear?
Kiwi Kev

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

It was jumping out of Hi Gear. It is the version with the live PTO - different gearbox - The only way to keep it in was holding up the selctor handle with a block of wood

best regards

Dietmar

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Dietmar
Thanks for your reply. My gearbox jumps out of low range sometimes (usually when on a steep hill).
I will look forward to your reply once the gearbox has been reassembled and tested.
I have also been watching the thread about Larrson's gearbox.
Kiwi Kev

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Recall

Post by Dietmar »

The Bearings can not be used!
After the gearbox was assembled the shaft where the bearings are installed has to much play.
I have to get originals.

Best regards

Dietma

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Kiwi Kev,

I could have told you this weekend, but now I have to continue the search.
Let see how long it takes.

Best regards

Dietmar

larsson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by larsson »

Hello Dietmar.
I think that you must have NF´s or NJ´s instead of the N- types.
The NF´s have a flange on the outer race and the rollers are sticked to the inner race, this is like the originale, and the NJ´s have the flange on the inner race and the rollers sticked to the outer race. I don´t think there are a flange on the N-type, and therefor there will be to mutch "play" in the shafts. I have ordered NJ´s for my gearbox because they were easyer to find, but i haven´t got them yet so i can´t tell you how it fits, but i will let you know as soon as i had it put together.
Regards Christer

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Dear Christer,

thank you for the information.
I will visit my bearing shop and see what they might get.
I let you know as well

Remark on my own: I am already real good in dis- and reassembling the gearbox.

best regards

Dietmar

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Dietmar
As they say "practice makes perfect"
Maybe you could do a photographic report on how to strip/ rebuild a Major gearbox, for the board
Kiwi Kev

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

I will post a report after the successful refit of the box including all hints and don'ts - as I have learned my lesions and like to share it with the board.
Just for right now: The most important issue is that somebody has to take care - it is heavy and we work it 3 people! - that the bearings of the upper main shaft are aligned correct.
I use long threaded bolts (make them longer as the housing in order to put the module on them before entering the housing) which I screw in the side threads of the housing using them as a guide and support of the gearbox module.

Best regards

Dietmar

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Dear Christer!

You have been right the NF series fits.
I installed NF305 and NF406 (had been quite pricy!).
The first attempt fitting the module was without a paper gasket (using Loctite sealer). This did not work as the bearings are to tight and turn to hard.
I made a 0,5mm paper gasket - applied Loctite on either side - now it is perfect.
The next was putting the gearbox with the rear together, the same gasket plus loctite - very nice.
Rolling the engine on was a little tricky, we had been 4 people and a big hydraulic jack on wheels.
I found it is very important to have the front and the gearbox aligned strait and level!!!
Than, I blocked one axle and turned the opposite brake drum to align the input shaft with the clutch.
The same with the bevel gear which drives the PTO - I could feel when the splined shafts align by easy driving the front on the rear.
Now it is together in one piece. What a success.
We had a good glass of wine to celebrate.
I will add some pictures.

Best regards

Dietmar

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Dietmar

How is the gearbox going?
Any pictures yet.

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"