Fuel Question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fuel Question

Post by jan »

Hi all
Now the winter is here,and work at my E1DKN/TVO Major has stopped(too cold to work).the only thing to do,when it will be warmer,is the tank and bonnet.the rest is ready.
now there is the question about the right fuel i need.
the tractor will be only used for realy light work and drive on road.
the heaterflap is stuck in "cold" position.
is it better to use plain petrol,or is a mix with diesel better?
here in germany there is no petroleum or kerose.
and when i need a dieselmix,how much percent of what?
pictures from work following,they are in progress.

mbg Jan

p.s. excuse my bad english!!!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Jan,

I have used quite a few mixes in Henrietta. I tend to use a 60/40 mix of either Diesel or Kerosene. That is 60% diesel 40% petrol.
I have run her on straight diesel when she is in hard work. Diesel has lubrication properties too.

I find that she does not need petrol to start and fires straight up on that mix.

The thing you need to watch for is oil dilution if you are running light. In those conditions I would tend to increase the % of petrol.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

Hi Brian

thanks for the quick answer,i will try a 60% petrol/40%diesel mix first.
And then i try to rise the dieselpart.but before that,i must find a suitable engine oil (sae 40 min.).at this time i run the engine with plain petrol,and a 15w40 is filled in sump.the next thing i am worried about,the heaterflap is,as i wrote before,stuck in "cold" positition.
how importend is this for the engine,and for me to operate the engine right.i don´t want to risc any thing.

mbg jan

i wish my english is as good as my fordson´s

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I would not worry about the flap. Stuck in the cold position is better than stuck in warm.

If it is really cold I would stick with the 15/40W until things warm up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian