Ebay item

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tiger
True Blue

Ebay item

Post by Tiger »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-E27N-E1A- ... 500wt_1182
Is this any good to anybody. Out of interest could any body tell me how this would attach and what benefits you would get. Surely the low range box on my major is good enough. Always willing to learn Chris :D
Another unfinished project

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Chris,

This is how the reduction box is mounted.

I think it was made by Howard.
It was made to reduce speed for PTO-work. I believe Brian told, that it wasn't meant for extra pullingpower. Some part of the Major wasn't strong enough then. I don't know which part.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks Pascal

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Pascal
I love photo's like this that show lots of detail. That is a fairly highly spec'ed machine with both aux hyd and reduction box.
Can I ask why the seat appears to be mounted reasonably high compared to a normal Major seat.
I've never seen a reduction box in the flesh. Am I correct in thinking that you have your normal 6 gears, and then you can engage the reduction box in each of these 6 gears, effectivly giving you 12 gears.
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can also get the opposite of the reduction box, like an overdrive box, maybe I'm thinking of the E27N or even Fordson N :scratchhead:
What is the white thing behind the hyd levers, and also, is that a light bracket behind the gear lever.
Sorry for all the questions
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

We fitted this type of reduction box, made by Howard, to Majors fitted with hedge cutters. We had Hydrocut hedge cutters which were fitted with a circular saw on the end of a boom. Using them without a reduction box led to deliberate clutchslipping by drivers. Didn't Howard make the reduction boxes to give tractors a slow forward speed when fitted with their rotovators?

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rok25 »

Tiger
True Blue

Fordson Dumper Truck

Post by Tiger »

Have a look at this, You can get anything on ebay

Has this been converted or straight of the production line. It looks converted ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fordson-Tractor-D ... 500wt_1182

henk

Post by henk »

Tiger,

It has been converted by Muir Hill. The started this conversion with the F model in 1927, than the N and E27N and this one I think is based on a New Major.
The power major model was more sophisticated with a cab and enclosed hood. In 1962 they even had the 6 cil version with a 590E engine
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Emiel
True Blue

Re: Ebay item

Post by Emiel »

Tiger wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-E27N-E1A- ... 500wt_1182
Is this any good to anybody. Out of interest could any body tell me how this would attach and what benefits you would get. Surely the low range box on my major is good enough. Always willing to learn Chris :D
Hello Chris,

This certainly is not a E27N box. For the E27N you won't need the hole for the shift connection rod and the extension. But it is a nice box. We had a super with a reduction box, who almost stood still when in lowest gear idling.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks all, interesting stuff. I'am having lots of fun getting bits for my old girl. Like being a kid again