super major - still not lifting

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

super major - still not lifting

Post by wee blue tractor fan »

hi folks you will see i have edited this post as it was put on by a friend on his computer as i have been unable to post a question since before christmas but thanks to mike iam now able to post. :lol: i have removed top cover of my super major to check un load valve as advised by brian but this is free and does not seem to be the problem is there anything else to check .Every thing seems clean and free in the top cover and oil comes out the pipe with pressure if i put my thumb over it again as advised by brian any ideas where else to look would be appreciated
Last edited by wee blue tractor fan on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Is the PTO in gear? If not, pull the lever back and be sure the PTO is turning. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

Also, is it freezing where you are now? I've had mine refuse to work in sub-zero temperatures - I think the problem was caused by condensation freezing in the valves.

If this is the case, I have a solution, but it's one that needs to be approved by Brian first to make sure it's not harmful. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems in my case yet though but would prefer to be sure before recommending it to someone else :lol:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Any solution as long as its not antifreeze in the oil J-P :D

No lift at all sounds like pump or even pressure relief valve. Take off the aux service chest and operate the starter. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE). You should get oil from the pump from one of the two holes to the right of the plate. Simple method. put your thumb over it and see if it will lift your thumb. This is perfectly safe. If it will lift your thumb then the problem could be in the aux service chest, like a jambed flow control valve.

Next thing would be to pull the aux control valve knob out and see if you can here the pump load down with the control lever right up. If the answer is no, drop the lift arms and try again.

If none of this works, the top will have to come off so that you can check pipes, pump, valves and "O" rings.

Another area to look would be drain the oil and drop the intake filter out. It may be full of frozen gunge.

Also add 2 gallons of kerosene to the oil in the rear axle. (Fordson solution) Do not use diesel as this will react with the "O" ring rubber and cause these to fail.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Well it kind of is...

Post by John-Paul »

My solution for the freezing problem has been a dash of the alcohol sold for airbrakes on older trucks (those without the magic drier that the new ones seem to have). My concern was exactly the thought of what that might do to the various "O" rings and seals.

Since giving the tractor this shot of the hard stuff I haven't had any problems with the lift - in previous years it was regularly frozen, but not this year, and this is the worst winter I've seen!

J-P

Foxen
True Blue

Re: Well it kind of is...

Post by Foxen »

John-Paul wrote:My solution for the freezing problem has been a dash of the alcohol sold for airbrakes on older trucks (those without the magic drier that the new ones seem to have). My concern was exactly the thought of what that might do to the various "O" rings and seals.

Since giving the tractor this shot of the hard stuff I haven't had any problems with the lift - in previous years it was regularly frozen, but not this year, and this is the worst winter I've seen!

J-P
So, what does Brian think about this "booze in your oil"-thing? I was kind of thinking about that myself, it's hard to get hold of kerosene in sweden, does anyone know of a good substitute that doesn't involve mixing gasoline with diesel?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I do not know what alcohol will do to the "O" rings. I know that Ford recommended kerosene and I have used it to good effect.

Petrol would be too drying and diesel will definitely take out the rings.

Ford also used to supply an additive for exactly this problem but I do not think it is now available.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Okay... finding a small local supply of kerosene it is then...
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

An idea...

Post by John-Paul »

Maybe I should take a similar 'o' ring and leave it to soak in a glass of Aerol?

As long as I don't put it anywhere next to my evening's pink gin with slice of black olive...

And what about lamp oil? Isn't that similar enough to kerosene? What's the difference exactly?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Lamp oil is near enough kerosene. So is jet fuel and 28 second central heating oil.
Brian