Roadless

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kjetil
True Blue

Roadless

Post by Kjetil »

Hello

I have the possibility to buy the Roadless 4WD parts from a Major. Will it fit on a Super Major?

Any changes between the transmission and rear end?
I belive there is a change on the front axle trunnion pin, will it cause problems?
Any changes on the length from transmission to the front axle?

This are the items of my concern.

Anything else to think of?

Kjetil

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Kjetil, You are correct about the front mounting pins, you can bore out the holes in the axel mounts or make bushings to press into mounting holes in the tractor, the later is probably preferable. Tractor Length should be the same.
Things to get with the package……PTO shaft and shifter shaft that goes into the transmission, they are longer than stock. Clutch pedal is roadless only. The foot boards will need to be modified and the brake lock…..you may just want to go without. The output shaft and bearing locknut from the transmission may be modified as well, mine was ground back about ¼” to allow clearance for the transfer case drive gear that slides onto the rearend input shaft.

Pat

Shifter shaft, top left, output shaft center

PTO shaft bottom, input shaft and drive gear center

always check for a bad pumkin in rear housing.

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

The front trunnion pin is only changed on the very last New performance super majors. The grey winged ones.
Earlier supers had same pin as all majors before.

Sandy

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You may also have to check the rear axle ratio. There was a high and a low speed ratio on New Performance Supers.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

The Roadless new performance super major used a modified/new drop box. Still interchangable but may help identify the age of unit.
If serial number is still stamped on front axle plate you can find out fullbuild spec from www.roadless.co.uk, you can still get most parts...at a price.
They are not much fun to drive without power steering, so worth budgeting for this too.
Check condition of propshaft sliding joint, these are know to wear badly. Also condition of torque limiting clutch. Half shafts are known to break and are ££££ to replace.
Trouble with things like Roadless and County conversions, they were more expensive when new and were probably worked a lot longer and harder than their cheaper 2wd counterparts. Consequently they are often quite worn out by this stage in life!
Good luck

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It looks like a Selene transferbox to me. The friction unit is on the propellershaft on a Selene and on the transfer flange on a Roadless. :?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Grani, you bring up a good point. I have always assumed my unit is a Roadless , the tag was missing when I got it, there was no torque limiting clutch on it, and it is different than the gear cases in the Roadless manual I have… I just assumed my unit was an earlier or later version than pictured in the manual. The biggest difference probably being the shifting mechanism, in the Roadless manual they show the shifting assembly in a cover bolted to the top of the case, my unit has a shaft through the back and no access from the top of the housing. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Pat

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

The difference that shows the most is that Selene has long bolts from the gearbox through the transferbox and all the way to the rear axle unit. The Roadless tranferbox has separate bolts for the gearbox and for the rear axle unit. Roadless transferbox lengthens the tractor more than the Selene unit does.