super major proofmeter

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
northermajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

super major proofmeter

Post by northermajor »

im having trouble getting a proofmeter for my 1961 super major, i bought one for my age of tractor and if won't work it works if you turn the cable anti clockwise. my cable rotates clockwise with the engine running, do i need a clock that rotates anti clockwise ala dexta hope some one has my answer thanks

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yes, there are two different units. The Major and Power Major turn the opposite direction of the Super Major. Go to the Agriline link and scroll down. You will see that the needles are even on opposite sides. Dandy Dave!

http://www.agrilineproducts.com/retail% ... logue.html
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

northermajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by northermajor »

theres somthing wrong somwhere as mine is a early super same engine as power majors .i got a new drive could this be the problem .

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rok25 »

It all depends from where the cable is driven.If it is from the engine through the angle drive unit, it must be clockwise I think.If it is from the rear of the injection pump (only possible with the minimec pump) it is anticlockwise.
Maybe you don't have the original engine?

northermajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by northermajor »

hi no my engine is from a 59 power major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

northermajor wrote:hi no my engine is from a 59 power major
Then you will need the earlier style like my 1960 Power Major has. RPM needle rests to the left. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

northermajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by northermajor »

thanks i think i have the clock for the later super that has anticlock wise inpupt to make the needle turn clockwise

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

i bought an aftermkt proofmeter for my major, it was actually smaller than the original!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

MAXPOWER wrote:i bought an aftermkt proofmeter for my major, it was actually smaller than the original!
I have replaced both the gage cluster, and proof meter on my tractor with ones from Agriline. I had to re-work some of the ends on some of the wiring, even with the new harness, as there were some slight differences. But, the units themselves fit, and look, just like the originals. Of course the Power Major, and Super Major, have the gages in the dash that is just below the steering wheel. Dandy Dave

1960 Fordson Power Major