New Performance Super Major identification

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

New Performance Super Major identification

Post by rok25 »

Hi everybody,

Some months ago ,I bought a Super Major for repair and before buying it , armed with all the documentation I found on this site and elsewhere on the net, and with the Condie books with chassis numbers location and lists ,etc, I thought it would be very easy to identify the model .But it wasn't .

First problem :the tractor was sold without registration documents,and I couldn't find a chassis number correspondind to the list . I only could find an "S"engine number .Of course as I discovered later it is an industrial engine number which means it is is useless to date the tractor.
I checked near the starter flange but found nothing .There was still the little constructor plate on the battery bulkhead that was supposed to have the chassis number stamped on it but it seems that Ford found a way to make huge production savings and just put a plate without chassis number.
I came to the conclusion that the chassis number was lost for ever.

Now ,another thing that was puzzling me was the badge on the bonnet.It was written "Fordson Super Major "but it was a rectangular sticker (not the usual stamped metallic badge)and this badge was not discribed in the Condie books nor anywhere else.The only sticker badges I knew of was the rectangular "Fordson" for the New Performance Super Major and the" Ford 5000" for the USA model.

Could it be a NPSM ? As it has disk brakes,super major lift, steel front wheels with inside weights,live PTO ,it could be .The tractor had been repainted dark blue but I could see traces of ligt grey on the wings .It looked original but there is one wrong wing (for drum brakes) .The seat was also painted the same grey .... Eventualy I bought it.
Later when I knew more about the fordson,I found two clues that comfirmed (I hope) that it is a NPSM. The "Drop Control" valve on the lift,and 4A1 casting numbers on the transmission and 4A2 on the lift wich dates it from 1964 I think.

Another puzzling thing is the seat.It looks original but I can't find this model discribed in any parts catalogs nor find any pictures of a similar one on the net.

Now ,the conclusion of this examination is that I probably have a late NPSM and that Mr Condie has missed a whole episode of the fordson major production in his otherwise very good book.

And I would like to ask the other members if somebody could fill the blanks.

First :when and where was this sticker badge used?
I would appreciate pictures of an original bagde as mine is very decayed and I am not sure of the colors anymore.I bought a set of decals on ebay wich looked the same but when it arrived it was a disappointment.
On the original ,it is clear that the letters are white,with black underlining on a clear (white or grey???) background.On the one I bought,the letters and border are not printed and left in chrome finish(base material of the sticker) with black underlining and white background.

Second:is the seat original and when was it introduced?
I am lookink for a spare parts drawing if it exists as mine is completely worn out and has been repaired very crudely.

Third: did NPSM have a constructor plate with chassis number or not?

Thank you

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

All I can answer on is that the constructor plate on my Super Major -62 doesn't have the chassis number on it either... The seat looks like a re-constructed super major "comfort seat"(about as comfortable as a rock in the woods) ;)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have a New Performance Super Major.

They stopped putting the serial number on the badge in the late 1950's.

The bonnet badges are export versions of the later badges. Usually the New Performance had a chrome nose badge saying Super Major and a wheatsheaf, then on the bonnet at the back, a stick-on decal saying Fordson. Colours are Fordson Grey, Silver, Black shading.

The seat is a version of the Rest-O-Ride seat, possibly for Belgium only.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

My Power Major also does not have the number stamped on the firewall plate. (January of 1960) I wonder if the lack of a number started with the Power majors? I have seen several Supers over here that have the decals. It seems that the chrome silver is the first color to fade and flake off. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Brian wrote:You have a New Performance Super Major.

They stopped putting the serial number on the badge in the late 1950's.

The bonnet badges are export versions of the later badges. Usually the New Performance had a chrome nose badge saying Super Major and a wheatsheaf, then on the bonnet at the back, a stick-on decal saying Fordson. Colours are Fordson Grey, Silver, Black shading.

The seat is a version of the Rest-O-Ride seat, possibly for Belgium only.
The seat bucket looks exactly like the seat bucket from my super major(as it has the same "tube" on the back rest and holes up front where the rubber? damper was rivetted on), was the Rest-O-Ride seat made by Fordson as a add-on version of the "comfort seat"?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Dandy Dave wrote:My Power Major also does not have the number stamped on the firewall plate. (January of 1960) I wonder if the lack of a number started with the Power majors?
I have a Feb. '57 Mk.1 Major with the number stamped on the plate and an Oct. '57 Mk.2 Major without it. Maybe they quit stamping the number when the Mk. 2 came out.

henk

Post by henk »

Mine is also feb 1957 and has the number on the fire wall plate.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

JC wrote:
Dandy Dave wrote:My Power Major also does not have the number stamped on the firewall plate. (January of 1960) I wonder if the lack of a number started with the Power majors?
I have a Feb. '57 Mk.1 Major with the number stamped on the plate and an Oct. '57 Mk.2 Major without it. Maybe they quit stamping the number when the Mk. 2 came out.
It looks like that narrows it down at least. Anyway to verifiy this with production change records? Or are the records lost to the ages? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major