Super Major or not

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major or not

Post by Tomt »

Hi, I am new to your forum. I discovered it when searching for info on what I have been told is a 1964 super Major. I still have not been able to find the serial #. I found the codes on the forum, now if I can find it on the tractor. Should I be looking on the head for the serial#. I found a e1a***# on the block but have misplaced it. Lots of great info here. It has convinced me to buy the tractor if it runs as good as the owner claims. He said it has sat out for a year and has water in the rearend but the engine has a fairly new rebuild on it. Metal work is straight but very rusty. This is the same for all tractors here in south Alabama. The 3 pt. hitch control is strange to me. It sits at a 90 degree angle as opposed to every other tractor i have ever seen. We had a dexta diesel when I was growing up.What is the purpose of this. any info is appreciated

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board.

The number you want is under No.1 injector on a flat area on the block. As a rough guide, any numbers that start E1AD... are the same on every tractor so are no good to date or identify what you have. You need to look for a number like 3C21 (example only) 4C21, or C21B. These will tell us the year and day that item was produced and is usually within a few days of the tractors build date.

If she is a 1964 Super, she will have "FL" cast into the head just below the injectors and will have a mechanically goverened "Minimec" pump.

She will have a long Pressure Relief Valve and a drop restrictor, cast knob, on the front of the hydraulic lift.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D You've come to the right place for Fordson Information. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tomt »

Thanks for the replies. The 3pt lift control on this one is turned 90 degrees to the one in your picture. Also the brake housings? stick out past the fenders a bit. Looks like it was solid blue also with maybe creme colored grill. I still have not found the serial # but plan on looking again. If I can figure out how to upload pics from my new phone I will see if I can snap a few.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Tomt,

Welcome to the club.

I think you have a new or a power major.
Does the 3 p hitch look like this? Notice the brake drums.
Is the throttle under the steering wheel or right hand next to the dashboard?

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tomt »

Henk, thanks for the picture. That is exactly what it looks like. But I think that it may be a mixture of tractors. The guages are beneath the steering wheel but I do not remember about the throttle. I will try to get a better look. Is the new or power major much less desirable than the Super. Does the 3 pt work basically the same? After closer exam of the pictures I took I think that the fenders were creme also.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If it is a Power Major it will be from between 1958 and 1960.

The hydraulics are totally different, Major/Power Majors did not have Draft control. They also did not have a differential lock.

They are good tractors but not as valuable as Supers. They make mid to low hundreds of £'s over here whilst Supers can make low thousands of £s.

This makes the casting codes that I told you about in an earlier post very important if you want to identify your tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk

Post by henk »

Tomt,

Your throttle will be next to the dashboard if the gauges are also there. So it must be a New Major. They were build between 1951 and 1958. Followed by the Power. The power had about 5 hp more power. The 3 p hitch had no dept control and it had no differential lock. The super has all those options.
I think that's why people like the super more.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tomt »

Thanks for all the info. I think this might be a good candidate still for restoring. I plan on using it in my chicken houses if I can Buy it right. Guy said he wanted his money back out of it which is about $1900. Only thing is that it has a rear tire that was shot by vandals and is now flat. Rears are 14.9x38's which are really too tall for me. I may listen to it run and then offer him $1200 for it and just walk if he doesn't accept. The only thing it would be required to do is pull a box blade and sprayer in the houses and then rake or tedder hay.Does a regular set of pressed steel ford rims match up this tractor. I would need some used rims and tires in the 16.9x30 or 16.9x28 range. I really like the old gal, just wish it really was a super.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tractors were usually sent out without wheels or special wheels for the markets. Here we would not normaly have 14x38, our normal size was 11x36.

Try finding 4000 rear wheels. I think, from memory, the 1965 to 1975 wheels will bolt straight on.
Brian

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

serial #

Post by Tomt »

I think I have found the serial . This is located on the front of the block around the injector closest to the fan. s297727. the injector pump was a simms and had the # SPE4A706360 on it. There was a F cast into the transmission housing on the block of the engine it had E1ADDN16015 I believe. What can ya'll tell me from these numbers. Thanks

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

We can tell that the enginge is changed to an industrial one and it is one of the oldest models according to the pumpnumber.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Engine has been changed to an industrial unit. No details available.

The pump numbers mean nothing as injection pumps can be changed between models.

All the other numbers you found have no significance as they are the same on all Majors. The Numbers you want are something like A13B and are cast into all the major castings.

The easiest ones to find are on the front axle, on the engine block under the manifold, on the gearbox near the clutch linkage, on top of the lift under the seat and on the rear axle housing.
Brian

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tomt »

Back to the tractor once again, Maybe I will find something useful soon. Thanks for the help. I love this board already. It even has me thinking about tracking down a 58 Dexta to restore like we used to have.

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Look, one of the biggest questions you have to answer about ANY and ALL machines, tractor or otherwise, is whether it will do the job you need it to do and will it be the most cost effective machine to do that job. If this tractor is or maybe just a collection of odd bolts and nuts flying in a loose formation or is it a precision team able to preform its duty day in day out, at the lowest possible cost, that is the basic question here. With all that in mind as with any machine it has to pencil out on the bottom line.

You are not here looking for a concourse collector but a doer looking to run a business right? If it meets those standards its just a business call.

About 25 years ago I bought a lathe, a Warner Swasey number 2 turret lathe. It was at an auction, I paid $1800 USD for that machine. It was a WWII made machine that was in nice shape but ugly, was well equipped with just what I needed to do a job in the shop that was ongoing. Even in those years these machines were a drag on the market. Yes the price was high and I knew that. But my solution with that machine was an answer right in front of me right then, not weeks or months down the line. After the bidding was over a guy I knew, a machine dealer walked up to me and said " boy you paid an arm and a leg for that machine" what he didnt know was for me that machine, in my shop, would turn out about $750 per day in parts, day after day. The question is all in your own perspective right? So what the real question is was this machine a pig in the manger or a silk purse. Well I just let the accountant work that out.

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tomt »

Tmac, you are correct on the cost vs. benefit anlaysis. And I sort of like the old ugly thing. I think it would be beneficial to me and also something I could set right again without to much pain. The year is just another piece of the puzzle to me though. I looked on the front axle and found these #'s , looking straight at the tractor on the left side of the axle was 22J6 and in the center of the axle was E27R 3010B . I hope that maybe that will help some .Thanks all for the replies and education. This site has more useful info than any site I have seen.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

22JC would be July 22 1959, for some reason the axle codes are slightly different in their layout. I think yout 6 is really a C. The other numbers are just mould numbers. That code starts to date her as a Power Major.
Brian

Tomt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tomt »

Thanks Brian, I plan on talking to the owner again soon and seeing where he is really going to end up on the price. This was another road find for me. I take different roads when I am out and about and spotted this one pushed off in the weeds in a fencerow. Hasn't been cranked in over a year .Enquired at the nearest home about it and sorted out the owner. It quickly became his pride and joy but he would part with it. I win some and lose some using this method but generally wind up chatting with some nice folks whether they want to sell or not. If I make the puchase I will post some pics. Once again thanks for all the help!!