High idling

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

could the large spring that presses on the governer have got weaker with age. that would stop the rack being returned to the idling speed. have you got a spare you could swap the spring over from? try opening the valve a bit more and see if there is any difference. might just alter how quickly the engine revs up but not the max/min revs.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I have dismantled the vacuum housing from the pump.
There was a bit thin oil in the housing. The diaphragm was ok.
Like I have said before the damp valve was replaced by another one earlier. I think that must be the problem.
Has anyone a damp valve to take a look at or a picture?

This is what mine looks like. Total lenght 40 mm and round 8 mm.

How far will move the rod, that adjust the amount of fuel, in the pump move back and forward?

Strange thing is that the small pipe fit the large hole in at the vacuum housing and the larger pipe fits in the small hole.

Dismantled the cold start and shut off part to. That seems to be in good order.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

henk

Post by henk »

Yesterday I have checked the stop/cold start unit. All was OK. Machined a new end button for the cold start button.
While I was reassembling it this evening, I thought I had a look behind the cover plate of the pump. Then I discovered a small nut. It was from the stop/cold start housing. Glad I opened the cover. I did not know there was a nut behind the screw that holds the housing.
Then I notice that the bushing that guides the control rod on the front was worn. That caused the ticking sound I was looking for the last four years. I always thought it was the coupling. Removed the bushing and I will machine a new one.
Could not find any thing wrong inside the pump that would cause the strange behavior of the throttle.

Kind regards, Henk

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

I thought the cold start/stop housing was fixed on with two screws? One accessible from outside the cover plate and the other one from the inside of the pump?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

henk

Post by henk »

Foxen,

Your right about the outer one.
The inner screw is placed inside the middle of the stop/cold start housing going in to the side of the pump with a washer and nut on the inside of the pump.
Kind regards, Henk

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Ah... :)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

henk

Post by henk »

Put everything together this weekend. I expected the ticking sound would be less, but it made no difference. Only the stop/coldstart lever was stabilized. Before you could feel the fuel rod dancing.

I’m ordering a new diaphragm. There was some diesel between the pump and the diaphragm and it made a small dent in it. Worked well, but maybe this is the source of the problem.

I wrote to a pump revision company and hope they will or can answer my question.

Working on the repair story on my site. If you want to check go to repair page four.
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/
Kind regards, Henk