what tractor do i have

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
shergar
True Blue

what tractor do i have

Post by shergar »

hello all , this being my first post and farly new to vintage tractors i could do with some help identifing a tractor i found at my uncles farm , it's a fordson major petrol TVO don't know what model it is
can't seem to find any id plate or serial no the only mark i found was on the front axel which said E27N , it does not have a tachometer it is only has temp,oil pressure and amp meter and there down quite low down near the gear stick, was thinking it might be a E1ADKN not sure could anyone tell us where to look for the model no , or maybe is a mishmash of two tractors :?: any help would be great.
regards wayne

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Not that it doesn't stop anyone from having repainted it, but is it a dark blue or a lighter blue colour?

Or just simplified, the tractor in this picture is a E1ADDN Super Major, all New Majors should have the same general features as this one has:

This is an E27N Major:
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

not sure it's cramed into the corner of the shed it looks very simlar to the one in your picture but has no dials behind the stering wheel it has a doulble tank for petrol tvo and has slats in front or the radiator which can be ajusted with a lever near the clutch pedal, i'll take some pictures tomorrow she's not in great nick ,is it easy to get spares for tvo fordsond
wayne

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Foxen, Why does the dog get a hood but the Super Major doesn’t? :?

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Foxen, Why does the dog get a hood but the Super Major doesn’t? :?
The hood for the super major isn't quite finished yet, it needs some welding before I can fix it up, the dog got a hood because the wife dressed him before we went to the tractor that day ;)

It's only the Power and Super Major that have the dials up at the steering wheel, the new major before them had them below the fuel tank...
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board Wayne.

You have a petrol/paraffin E1ADKN Major made between 1952 and 1957. The axle casting number is E27N but has nothing to do with the identity of the tractor.

The serial number will be on an aluminium plate on the firewall in front of the battery and is also stamped on the flange behind the starter. You will also find casting codes on all cast parts. These look like A12C and will tell us the day, month and year that part was made.

If you go on the Wiki on this site, you will find Henrietta, my tractor which is exactly the same as yours. The passwords are "fordsontractorpages"and "dotty".
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Wayne,

The centre beam for the front axle carried the E27N number right up until the end of 1960.

As for the Tacho, it was approx. Feburary 1956 when the Tacho was first factory fitted. The exception to this was Australian tractors, and these were fitted from day one, but on the Left Hand side rather than the Right Hand side.
BarryM

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hi guys had a good look round the tractor for a serial no and casting no but because it's been kept in a dank dark corner of the shed it's coverd in rust, dust and rat droppings (nice)so i can't read or find any numbers, the only one i found was on the block near the manifold which was B25T also the exhaust pipe runs along the bottom, is it easy to get parts for tvo fordsons because i've looked for parts on the internet and can only find parts for diesel tractors i think the reason for it being layed up was because the timing gear was missing a tooth or broken, the engine not seized i turned her over with the starting handle hoping it to be a good restoration project as the tinwork seems in good nick considring where it's been kept.
thanks for all the help wayne
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49293148@N07/?saved=1[/img]

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are very lucky! You have found a very early 1952 Fordson Major TVO , model E1ADKN. The code you have found is for February 1952 and they started prfoduction in January of that year.

Parts are the same as the diesel apart from the engine, but even here, the main parts like crank, bearings, timing gears, cylinder liners are the same as the diesel.

The problem area is the manifold which gets very hot and the metal "Crystallises" and cracks. There are good ones out there but they are very hard to find.

There were only 6892 spark ignition Majors built in the years 1952 to 1957 according to Ford records, so you have a reasonably rare tractor that is well worth keeping.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D Looks like you have a rare one. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

cheers lads getting very excited about the prospect of restoring the old girl now ,there are a few parts missing like the coil, rota arm and power take off ( the one for the belt thats near the brake pedals) i've got the orignal instruction book fantastic tells you everything even taking the cylinder head off , removing valves etc . i also have a grey fergie (ted 20) which was going to be my first ever vintage tractor project , shes going on the backburner now, i think i am turning more to the blue side than the grey :D . does any one know a good web site to look for parts for the old girl .
many thanks wayne

John
True Blue

Post by John »

Welcome, shergar. I'm from the best part of the country as well... ! :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Coil is readily available, should be the same as the 12V TE. The rotor arm is also available.

Belt pulleys come up in the adverts in tractor mags. and on E-Bay
Brian

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hi guys going to have a good look round her tomorrow you guys said the manifold is susceptible to cracking is there any particular area on the manifold i should pay close attention to or could there be a crack anywhere.
thanks wayne

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
You say there was only 6892 (according to Ford) petrol units made between 52 and 57.
I reckon a great deal of those must have gone to New Zealand.
On "Trade-me" (NZ version of E-Bay) there is just about always a petrol Major for sale. Theres 3x there at the moment.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... ggested=13
Was even a carb and distributor for sale the other week.
I think I will stick with me deisel though.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

i think brian ment petrol tvo , the petrol ones have a slightly smaller engine and a different manifold plus a doulble fuel tank,
regards wayne

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

sorry lads got a bit mixed up the petrol one dose not have a doulble tank :oops:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The figure I gave covers all spark ignition engines both petrol and petrol/paraffin. It just goes to show how the diesel Major quickly killed off the other types.

The full petrol has a different manifold and smaller bore size. The petrol/paraffin is the same as the diesel.

Kev, if you come across distributors or caps or even TVO manifolds in good condition, grab them. I will cover cost and freight! :D
Brian

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

same goes for me as well. on my tractor the distributor cap looks the same as the one on my ted 20 , i could be wrong :?: . hope to get her out of the shed this weekend to have a closer look at her , first job was to give her a good power wash off , am i doing the right to use the power washer or could you do more damage than good, i'll get some better pictures as well.
wayne

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Re:Trade me

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Brian, if I had known, :cry: I would have put a bid on the Major distributor and carb that was listed on "Trade me" last week.Don't know if they sold, but if they relist I will try and get them.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

TSG
They were both listed at $10 no reserve, and I know one of them had shot up to the high price of $14. They were in Wellington.
Will keep our eyes peeled.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Chaps,

You are stars :clap: :D
Brian

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

We're both Kiwi's :lol:
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hi guys got a bit more junk moved away from around the tractor, i was right, the timing gear is broken i took the top of the distributor and turned it over with the starting handle and the spindle that the rota arm sits on doesn't move :? not sure where it's broken :?: is there any part of the timing gears thats different from the diesel and other petrol versions ( no dowt there is and i bet there as rare as hens teeth) apart from that the manifold looks ok i,ve found a coil and rota arm on ebay, fingers crossed she will be a runner :?:
many thanks wayne

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I would be pretty certain that the timing gears would be OK but there are drive bolts and keys that can break. There is also a drive pin in the distribitor drive.

The timing cover can be removed without taking too much off, just the front pulley and the bottom hose, then you can see in there.

You could also remove the distributor and see if the drive there is OK.

If you can turn it over, just check that the valves go up and down.

Timing gears are the same as the Diesel.
Brian